• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

All the recent pastrami posts....

Started by concho pete, May 22, 2010, 07:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

concho pete

....got me salivating for some good pastrami. Last week I wet cured three 4 pound briskets in the frig for 5 days, rubbed and friged for 24 hours, and I threw them in the Bradley last night. I just pulled them at 165 IT, and have just FTCed.

Of course I had to try some, as this is my first pastrami attempt. It was a little heavy on the salty side, despite soaking in cold water for an hour, changing every 30 minutes. I certainly hope the NaCl taste mellows. I must say it looks great. I suppose next time I should soak for a longer period.

Despite this smoke being a possible failure, it was an interesting process. I've never cured meat before. It will certainly be consumed.....I may just have to have alot of cold beer on hand to balance the salty taste!

squirtthecat

Give them a day or so wrapped up tight in the fridge...   They will be fantastic.

smokeitall

I really have to try and make some pastrami....you take any pics of yours?
SIA

concho pete

Here are 2 pictures of the finished product.

Two are now vac sealed (for later use), and the other is wrapped for consumption today and tomorrow. The misses bought marble rye, swiss cheese and some kraut for sammies tonight.

DarqMan

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

concho pete

Roger that STC. We will put off the sandwich making we were going to do tonight, and let them rest in the fridge.

Thanks for the advice.

Habanero Smoker

What was the recipe you used, and was it a dry or wet brine (curing process)? It could be the amount of salt in your recipe or the length of time you cured it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

concho pete

Habs - I used jhurlbur's recipe. The only thing I did differently, after curing, I soaked for one hour, changing the water every 30 minutes. That, and I had three 4 pounders. I had them wet cure for 4 days. Oh, and I did not take them to a 180 IT, they were pulled from the smoker at 165.

I has been in the fridge for about 6 hours (after a 2 hour FTC). And I must say, there is quite a reduction in the saltiness. I'm hoping more time...ie, tomorrow night, we are good to go.

Habanero Smoker

Happy to here that the flavor is improving. Since the saltiness has decreased overnight it just may have been your initial reaction to what you expected the taste to be, and what the actual results were. I've never tried his recipe, but I don't see anything in it that could make it too salty unless the curing time was too long. Including the pink salt, that recipe has about one cup of pickling/canning (table) salt per gallon of water. If you pumped (injected) then 3 days would have been enough time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

concho pete

End result, after going through the ole slicer.