• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoker will not heat up

Started by jcastellaw, May 21, 2010, 07:32:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcastellaw

Could the heaying element be out?  It got left out iin the rain!

classicrockgriller

Did the controller get left out in the rain too?

DTAggie

Could be many things if you left in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

Are you using a outlet that has a GFI? If so and that is not tripping when you plug it in, that's a fairly good sign. Next; as a precaution, I would use a hair dryer and dry the areas around where the wires attach to the element, around the plug on the back of the smoker, and the female end of the power cord. Plug the cabinet directly into an outlet (if you have a newer smoker you will need to use a computer power cord). If the elements work, the problem is in the generator - making sure everything is dry.

If it is the generator, take it apart and give it a thorough cleaning. While open check for loose wires/unconnected wires.
Cleaning the Generator

Next; as a precaution, use a hair dryer and air dry every thing inside the generator. Reassemble and check the fuse to make sure it is still good. Some times a fuse will blow and it is not readily visible, so if you have another fuse I would replace it with a new one.

Here are some more Trouble Shooting Tips

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

smokeitall

Not sure what you've tried so far but I just had the fuse on the generator blow on an overnight smoke, luckily it was close to the morning so the butts were ok.  Put them in the oven and ran to the shack.  Added on a few hours though  :(
SIA

jcastellaw

The light indicator at the bottom by the slide heat control is on but very dim. Does that help. my be the slide. is parts hard to get????

Habanero Smoker

Is the element producing any heat. Generally if the light is on, now matter how dim; power should be getting to the element. If it is the circuit board, that the slider is connected to, you can easily get parts from Yard & Pool or directly from Bradley; but that might not be what is needed to fit the problem.

What have you done so far to eliminate possible causes?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

See if the main heating element is heating up after being on for five minutes or so.  You can use your finger but a less painful way might be a remote IR thermometer or even to see if it's glowing red.

I'm sure that Bradley can walk you through a procedure if you give them a call.

And, yes, parts are readily available.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

DTAggie

J - have you called Bradley yet?  They are great at getting parts right out to you.