• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Montana's

Started by StickyDan, June 15, 2010, 12:08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StickyDan

The wife and I went to Montana's tonight because she had a late meeting so no time to make dinner, plus we had a gift certificate.  Their food is not the greatest but for the price I can't complain.  I had the beef ribs just like I have the last few times I've been there.  Have any of you tried these things???  I swear, they come from a Brontosaurus.  Freakin' huge I tell ya.  I've looked for beef ribs like this in stores because I figure I can cook them way better than any restaurant.  Problem is, all I can find are these bones with a little bit of meet left on them.  I don't know much about butchering and I've yet to become best buds with the local butchers.  But where can I get beef ribs this big???  Where does Montana's get them?  The brontosaurus farm??? 

Caribou

Hi Dan,
I can't help but thinking of Fred Flintstone getting the ribs brought to his car and it flipping over on its side. :D
I know what you are taking about when you describe the beef ribs at the store with nothing on them hardly.
Maybe you had short ribs that weren't cut short.  They come off the prime rib region.
I think the store ones are from further down the rib cage.
The short ribs I get are 6"+
Carolyn

RAF128

I doubt you'd be able to buy them cut big at the counter.   They're cut long before put on display and for sale.  You'll likely have to ask for them cut the way you want them.  I'm sure the butcher, even if you your best friend, yet, will accommodate you.

StickyDan

Yabbadabbadooo!!!!!
I think it is called the short rib - again, not so good at naming cow parts.  The bones themselves are about 6" to 8" long but the hunk of meat that's on those things is huge.  I'd say the size of a small Nerf football.   I took some pictures but have yet to start a photo account thingy.  Anyways, it's about 24 bucks for 2 of these ribs plus sides.  For an extra buck, you can make it all you can eat.  I always try the all you can eat.  I usually take a bite of the third rib and take it home for leftovers.  
Wilmmmaaaaa, can you find me some of those ribs???  Barney and me are starving!