• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Bacon Help Needed

Started by Remington, June 08, 2005, 08:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remington

I'm going to be trying my own bacons soon. I just recieved an order I placed with Butcher & Packer.

First mix is <font color="red">Hickory Cajun Brine Mix</font id="red">. The directions on the bag has you injecting meat to 20% gain. First is this needed and second what would you recomed for using it as a dry rub? Hopefully some of you have tried it and can help.

It will be easier for me to list what I got and perhaps someone can let me know if they used it and what they did?

Country Brown Cure With Sugar
Cure With Maple Sugar
Morton Tender quick
Canadian Style Bacon Brine
Morton Smoked Flavored Sugar cure

Some of these say to make a brine. I was wondering if it was possible to convert them to a dry cure?

Any help is much appreciated. This site is by far the best.

Remington

MallardWacker

Rem,

You are about to embark on one of the best things you can do wit your BS.  Here is my disortation on the subject.

Click Here&gt;&gt;&gt;My Bacon Disortation

This will get you started.  I'm glad you went with Butcher-Packer.  I think there cure yealds a better product.  I just use a dry rub, I have never used a injection method due to the fact that the meat is not that thick.  I will list below some of my flavored recipes.

Project Jalepeno

Project Intense Maple

Good luck and let us know.  If you have any questions please feel free to email me.  HTH

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

follow duck mans directions, i do it the same way, if you are looking for a flavored bacon you will do a dry rub and the 21 day thing , if you are just looking at doing a cure and then looking just to add hickory smoke for your flavor , then you can do a wet brine and it will take about 5 to 6 day no injecting needed, if you decide to do a dry rub cure, let me see if  i can dig up my spoon table, to make duck dude (LOL) recipe easy so you dont have to weigh out the cure, just use my spoon table. let me know which way you are going? so if you need a wet recipe.

Phone Guy

This is a recipe I use and will make use of some of your supplies..
http://forum.bradleysmoker.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1591

Remington

Thanks so much for the recipes Mallard, Rob and Phone. You guts really put me on the right track. I was thinking of doing a wet cure also, so if there are any recipes using these supplies I'm all ears.

I'm going to take the early advise and try some of the dry cures first. They really sound great. I'll keep you posted on how they go.

Also other than loin what meat do you recomend? I was going to start with loin then maybe try a butt or pork side or belly?

Thanks you guys are the best.

Remington

jaeger

Remington,
If you cure a pork butt, I would use a brine and pump using amounts recommended.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

Phone Guy

I have not done a loin but I have made bacon with the boston butt a few times and the dry rub works great. I personaly have not injected mine with brine yet but it might cure faster that way. With the dry cure it does take a week or 10 days or even longer with a loin. I think it is important to follow the instructions of whatever recipe you decide to use. Make sure you give it a good rinse and a long soak before you smoke it. Without the rinse/soak/rinse/soak you will find the bacon way to salty. I can tell you the Hillbilly bacon I mentioned is better with the honey coating then maple syrup. Thats just my opnion.

Mike