First Smoke

Started by roberts22, June 16, 2010, 07:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roberts22

Just popped the cherry on my new OBS this weekend and it was amazing!  Started off with doing like 60 ABT's at 220-230 for 3hours with Hickory as my wood choice.  Took them to a party and they were a hit - gone in no time!

Then I tried my luck with a 14 lb. brisket and a 12 lb. pork picnic - used the Emeril's Brisket rub (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-texas-style-smoked-brisket-recipe/index.html).  Put the picnic on the bottom shelf and the 2 brisket shelves on top.  Smoked with 4 hours of Jim Beam at high until done.  The picnic was done in 14 and the briket was done in 18 and both were amazing!!!

Couple of things about the smoker:
1. It still is taking forever to get the smoker to 150 or higher.  It is in my garage with no wind hitting it on its own GFCI and it still takes a good 30-45 minutes to get it up past 150.  Is this normal?

2. At the end of the long smoke, there was a leak out of the smoker on the bottom left front right by the smoke generator.  What the heck?

Overall, smoke was amazing and the meat/ABT's were ridiculous.  Suggestions from the pros on here as how to get better is welcomed!

Cheers,
Brandon

classicrockgriller

Brandon, you did a mighty fine job.

When you say it takes a long time to get the smoker to 150*,

Is that empty or after you put product in the smoker?

Caneyscud

And do you have the vent open?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

RAF128

It just seems strange that smoker won't go past 150º.   How are you measuring the temp?    Is the main heating element on?   After it has been on for a while, is it glowing red?   With a big piece of cold meat in it I can see it having trouble getting up to temp but empty it should get right up there to the max.   I had trouble with my 6 rack when I first bought it.    I got it in the fall and the outside temps were cool and the best I could get was 100º.   The advice I got here was to check the element.    It wasn't working.    Only heat was from the bisket burner.   This time of year I can see it get up to 150º.   I opened the SG and sure enough there was a disconnect wire.    All is well now.

roberts22

I had the OBS empty and the vent 1/2 open to begin.  The element was on and the light was glowing on the bottom, but it just took a while.  I turned on the SG after the temp got up...should I turn it on right away?  When the meat was in there, It took a long time for it to hit 220, but that was understandable given the amount that was in there, so it seemed to work fine after the temp got up there.

KyNola

Roberts,
Good first efforts.  The leak typically indicates that the vent wasn't open adequately to let all of the moisture out of the tower.  The moisture will condensate and typically either rain black stuff on your food(which is a bad thing) or leak out pretty much exactly where you said as it runs down the door.  Open your vent wider and that should alleviate the problem.

I always turn on the smoke generator in addition to the heating element to aid in the preheat period.

Good looking food.  Congrats!

TestRocket

Brandon,
That's some mighty good looking food you got there! Thanks for the PICS.

classicrockgriller

With that kinda of a load, the meat can be set out on the counter to warm.

Preheat your cabinet with the smoke gen on (I use 260* as my pre-heat temp)

When you put the meat in the cabinet don't adjust the temp until your cabinet

reaches the desire temp you want to smoke/cook at.

Again the food looks great.

Tenpoint5

Looks great for a first shot out of the gate. I would suggest opening the vent more even during the warm up. also use boiling water or as hot as you can get it in the drip pan/bowl turn everything on and let her roll to desired temp or higher before putting in the meat. The when the heat recovers back to your cooking temp adjust the slider to that point to keep it there.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DTAggie

I am with 10.5.  Use SG while preheating and use very hot water in drip pan.  Keep vent wide open.  By using the SG during warm up your first puck will burn completely.

bgregs

I as well am a proud new owner of a Bradley smoker (not even out of the box yet) and have plans for several pork shoulders (pulled pork) and turkey breast for next weekend.  I also have a beef tenderloin in my fridge and am anxious to try out the smoker tonite, but I have conflicting opinions on whether to smoke it or not...all input to the smoker virgin is welcome!

DTAggie

well you know what the response will be around here Bgregs - SMOKE it!