• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Guy from Seattle-Why the cautions related to rain?

Started by RJ, June 20, 2010, 02:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RJ

Just rec'd the Bradley Digital 4 rack for Father's day.  Was incredibly excited about the unit until I read the caution "do not expose the unit to rain". To say I'm shocked is an understatement given that the unit is manufactured in BC which has weather similar to Seattle.  Needless to say if there's real danger in using the unit in a rainy enviroment I'm between a rock and a hard place.   What has been you're experience dealing with this? 

GusRobin

The issue is gettting the electronics wet. A number of folks use them under covered patios, some put in their garage, some (me included) built little houses (shed) for them, other bought plastic sheds, etc.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RJ

Quote from: GusRobin on June 20, 2010, 02:04:06 PM
The issue is gettting the electronics wet. A number of folks use them under covered patios, some put in their garage, some (me included) built little houses (shed) for them, other bought plastic sheds, etc.

Needless to say lots of questions.  Will the exterior of the unit get hot?   Is the primary concern the smoke generating unit?  Thanks

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum RJ!

The exterior doesn't get very hot at all.

I use mine on a covered patio, and I cover it when not in use.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

GusRobin

Unit doesn't get hot. Afgain, the concern is to not get the electronics wet.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RJ

DTAggie

RJ - you will be fine.  Just do not let it get wet.  Can always smoke under cover.

squirtthecat

Yep, everyone has you covered...

I went from this:

To this:

Rain/sleet/wind/snow/tornadoes (well, tiny ones) don't faze it.

squirtthecat

Oh, and Welcome aboard!

My wife's family is from Tacoma.  I've got a pile of Johnny's Dock seasonings in my spice cabinet.

KevinG

I didn't know that they made maverick bisquettes.  :D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

TestRocket

Welcome RJ,

Like my Mom always told me "stay dry". Well I don't remember her ever saying that but it sounded good. Glad to have you with us!

Squirtthecat., Clever use of a porto-john? LOL But really, nice setup but what was that originally?

squirtthecat

Quote from: TestRocket on June 20, 2010, 06:51:37 PM
Squirtthecat., Clever use of a porto-john? LOL But really, nice setup but what was that originally?

That is a Suncast 'vertical storage shed'.    OBS plus stuff fits great.   It is bolted to the fence.  Never had a problem with rain/snow getting in it. (and we get some serious sideways weather here) 

classicrockgriller

RJ Welcome to the Forum.

Besides the electronics getting wet, the wood pucks can swell from rain OR high humity

and cause the smoke gen not to operate propertly.

If you are in an Area subjected to high humity, keep you wood pucks in the House.

TestRocket