Kingston, Ontario

Started by pdubbu, June 29, 2010, 09:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdubbu

Hello everyone,

I am from Kingston, Ontario.

A few years ago I was heading to visit some friends in Ottawa and made a pit stop along the way to visit my father who took me to a "rib fest" that was being held in his town.  I saw these huge trailer smokers and people lined up behind various vendors.  There were award winning ribs from all of the US and a few from different parts of Ontario.  They all had tons of ribbons and huge trophies, I thought it was a bit silly and laughed to myself because all I wanted was some ribs.  I think I got some Gator Ribs which was the name of the vendor and he had won tons of awards for different competitions throughout the years....they were delicious.  My first experience with real smoked ribs, other than the ones you can by at Swiss Chalet (but who knows if they are really smoked).

Then I was looking around at the bbq stuff at a local store and picked up some wood chips.  I googled smoked ribs and found directions on making little smoke bombs using tin foil.  The first batch turned out amazing, then I experimented with a different rub and a bbq for my second batch.  They weren't as good as my first, but were as tender as tender could be.

I decided that I was going to get an offset smoker, the ones you can find up here are garbage.  I looked at making one with my mom's b/f, but he's so busy I wouldn't get my smoker this year.  The next week I saw the BS was going on sale so I picked one up.

I smoked my first batch of ribs this past weekend using the BQ and used a recipe from the Smoke and Spice book, they turned out very good.  The one thing I love is that you can really taste the smoke flavour using the BS compared to my bbq smoke bombs.

I have a friends who is a huge fan of Swartz's famous smoked meat, he found me a brisket and last night I finished up my first Montreal Smoked Meat using Habanero Smoker's recipe (http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?281-Montreal-Smoked-Meat).

Thanks to the links from classicrockgriller here is a picture of my first montreal smoked meat

I've been trolling around here for hours maybe even days and finally registered, g/f says I have to be an expert by now....heck no there is so sooo much to learn about smoking.  But I am so glad I've registered because I've been able to ask questions and some very nice people (Quarlow, Begolf) have obliged and given me great advice!

Now to give some advice to other Newb's....read, read, read, and read a little more!!

Oh yeah and buy BUBBA PUCKS to save bisquettes!!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum pdubbu!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

mikeradio

Welcome  pdubbu

Lots of good information and people here

Cheers

Mike

OldHickory

Welcome to the Forum and the world of smoking.  The more you do the more you learn and the better it gets.  Have fun.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

classicrockgriller

KevinG

Welcome to the forum pdubbu!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

TestRocket

lumpy

Welcome from Kitchener pdubbu!

Sounds like your hooked.

Lumpy

monty

Welcome from Ottawa!

Ribfest was just this past weekend - it ended on Sunday. One of my favourite regular teams is 'Billy Bones'.
Bradley Original Smoker BT1S1
Auber PID WS-1200CPH
Traeger Lil' Tex BBQ070
Char-Broil Big Easy Infrared Fryer 10101480
Napoleon Ultra Chef UP405RB

Caneyscud

Welcome to the fun pdubbu!  A great place to hang out.  You have only begun your journey down the road of smoking nirvana.  There may be bumps along the road, but if you get down on your knees and look at those bumps closely, you'll notice that those bumps are nothing but the bark forming on your smoking experience!  Cherish them.  Remember there are no mistakes in smoking just opportunities to experiment!  and maybe to buy more toyools!

Newly diagnosed Bradley Syndrome. 

CAUSE: -  buying a Bradley, seasoning, worrying about the first cook, eating the first cook - then the symptoms come on.

1st symptom               Buying all the meat you can

2nd symptom              Just going to the grocery or Sams, strolling the meat market, just to "see" - can't buy any because freezer is full

3rd symptom               Bleary, hypnotic eyes from watching thermometer dials

4th symptom               Black stuff underneath the fingernails

5th symptom               Sweat tastes smokey

6th symptom               This constant huge $$$t eating grin! 

After all six symptoms manifest - there is no hope - you are a SMOKER!   We think there is no cure - we don't really know, because nobody has ever looked for one - so who cares?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

smokeNcanuck

Whatz up pdubbu!!  Shout out from Brussels,ON

you'll love it around here!!
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

waterkc

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy the forum and the smoker, couldn't have made a better choice on both counts.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and loose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln."