• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Trail Bologna AKA Ring

Started by NePaSmoKer, July 29, 2010, 08:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Going to take some trail bologna to NC with me. AKA ring bologna.

Here is a small photo tutorial  ;D

To start.

1 level tsp cure #1 dissolved in 5.5 fl oz cold distilled water.  Have your casing soaking during this mixing time.

Mix well until dissolved and you have pink water.

7 Tbs of dry mix. No need for any bacto ferm, dextrose, fermento or ECA unless you like it tangy.

Mix the dry well with the pink cure liquid. NOTE: If you want extra smokey add 1 tsp liq smoke to the liquid.

Mix the liquid ingredients with the 5 lbs of GB. I used 73/27 GB this time cuz i wanted the extra moistness.

This is what your looking for after mixing. Kinda tacky but not too wet. Taste test raw here for any adjustments (dont worry it wont kill ya)

Take yer finger and get some of the meat and rub the seal of your plunger, It makes stuffing a tad easier.

I use my hog rings to crimp the open end of the casing. These are curved protein ring bologna casings.

After stuffing and crimping you will have these. Smoke right away or fridge for 12-24 hours. Smoke with whatever wood you like.

I'm smoking these tomorrow cuz i got errands to do today  ;D

GusRobin

Being new to sausage making, when you say "dry mix" is that a standard thing you buy as is or something that you mix up yourself?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

watchdog56

Yes what is in the "dry mix"?

classicrockgriller

Gus, knowing nepas .... it's probably a secrect. ;D

Lem's Backwoods make a great "kit" for Trail Bolonga.

NePaSmoKer

The dry is the bologna mix.

I'm sorry that i dont post my recipes much but i have found my recipes and photos being claimed by a couple other people. Dont want to give links or say who.  So its kinda put me in a bad spot not to share with my friends on the forum  :-\

Anywho

CRG is right there are lots of good pre mixed packs by LEM, Cabelas, BPS, PS Seasoning, CY, Sausage Maker and so on.

RAF128

I plan to make some Bologna this fall as soon as I fill the freezer with some deer meat.    Yesterday I was in a butcher shop to get some pork shoulder for some sausage I'm making this weekend and pick up a fibrous casing, at least 5" in diameter(same size as comercial bologna).    Since it'll be my first time I think I'll try a HM kit.   

NePaSmoKer

2 rings in my 6 rack. Hang time 0630. The other 2 are going in my MAK after i clean some ash out. The rack is there just in case one falls.

PID Sets

130............1.5 hours no smoke......to dry the casing

140............2 hours w/smoke..........1.5 w/out

150............4 hours no smoke

160............4 hours no smoke..........check ring IT

170............4 hours no smoke..........check IT again

175............5 hours or until i get my target IT

All times are approx depending on IT

NePaSmoKer

The bologna is stalled at 136* which is normal.

NePaSmoKer

All done, cooled, bloomed and vac sealed.