• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Can these 4 pork roasts be smoked

Started by moodyfisherman, July 12, 2010, 06:35:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodyfisherman

These small roasts are stumping me...I think they are just tenderloins that can be used for Canadian bacon. They are 98% fat free so not the pulled pork material I thought they were. What is the concensus of others

Is that a bear with MY brisket in his paws?

Smokin Soon

I have never seen one that big at Costco. That would make a really good "slicer" not a "puller". Could divide it up and make some outstanding Hab's Canadian Bacon.

moodyfisherman

Sorry...I wasn't clear that there are 4 individual roast that total that weight...each vacuum packed as 1 - 4 pack. So about 2lbs each roast. Does that help the recipe givers?

ArnieM

Four at that weight aren't tenderloins.  Just boneless loins.

I'd probably do one as Canadian bacon if you like it.  Slice another into thick chops.  Leave one whole to smoke/cook.  The other, figure out what you may want to do.  Freeze anything you're not going to use right away.  I'd certainly brine any of it prior to cooking. 

IMHO, Costco doesn't have the best meat around.  I don't buy their meat anymore.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Habanero Smoker

As Arnie pointed out, you have boneless pork loins cut from the very end (tip) of the loin (the sirloin end), with is more tender and has less fat then the loin cut from the center, rib or shoulder end. I've never seen just the tip sold (or it just may be the way Costco labels the sirloin cut), it is generally sold with the rest of the sirloin cut. Any of the suggestion already given will work. Or you can use butcher's twine, tie them up into a more uniform roast, season and smoke/roast them whole.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

moodyfisherman

Thanks for the suggestions .... will give a chunk to the bacon gods and try some chops and smoke one for sandwiches....was too paranoid to do all the same way and find out it was a waste.. ;)
Moody