• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

thermometer

Started by KurtI, June 15, 2005, 11:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KurtI

I am going to purchase a Maverick thermometer,  does anyone on the forum sell them? (Want to keep the money in the family) Where is the best place to get one.  I love my BS and the forum is great.  Thanks for the great advice and recipies.

Organ donation Saves Lives

Oldman

KurtI, we are certainly glad you joined our group. As far as where to purchase one I don't think we have a member that sells them... at least wize not yet.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Phone Guy

KurtI,
Make sure you go with the Maverick 73. By the way Where in NE are you located?

KurtI

I'm going to get the 73,  dual probes,  can't seem to get the door therm  anywhere near the actuall temp.     I am in ST. Edward NE,  just NW of Columbus.  Planning on going to the Duncan RIBFEST in a couple of weeks>  thanks for all the help in the forums.

Organ donation Saves Lives

Chez Bubba

Kurt,

If your smoker is less than a year old, call Bradley, they'll replace your in-door thermo no problem. I would agree on the purchase of the ET-73 but there's no sense in having it be that far off.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

JJC

Hi KurtI,

I agree with Chez.  For things like ABTs, where the temp and time isn't so critical, there's no need to break out the Mav as long as the door thermometer is reasonably good.  You've paid for it--might as well have a decent one!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

zeek

I just bought my Maverick ET-73 from Amazon.com fast delivery. But I am very disappointed the temperature on the meat thermometer is way off(25-50 degrees). I sent them a message today to find out. A lot of people say the Bradley smoker thermomter is off but I found the ET73 way off. Confirmed the temperature with two other meat thermometers. Also, it does not transmit as far as I would like.

Hope you have better luck. I would confirm your meat thermometer on the first use. Meat thermometer alarm went off saying temp was 215 and it was really around 165.

Habanero Smoker

Zeek,

The advertised distance is not accurate for most conditions, but for me it works. I only need 30 feet. I find the ET-73 very accurate, and only had one problem with temperature accuracy. That is when the meat probe went crazy, and started reading extreme high temperatures. I latter found that the cable was damaged. My fault, but Maverick replaced it anyway - it was still on warranty.

Something is definitely wrong when two thermometers give readings of a difference of 50 degrees. Although you may have gotten a faulty probe or damaged cable, comparing thermometers does not always gives you correct results. I am not sure how you compared the thermometers with each other, but that is not an accurate way to check a thermometer's precision. Rather than compare one thermometer with another, you should use the boiling water test. If you do a search on the forum you will find information on this or you can go here for instructions http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/thermotest.html .

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

psdubl07

I seem to remember older threads saying sometimes the batteries that come with the Maverick were faulty/bad and needed changing to get accurate temps.
Don't know if that's a problem w/ yours, but worth a shot.

JJC

My first Mav had an accurate pair of probes, but only about 15-20 feet of range even with fresh batteries.  Called Maverick in NJ and they were great--sent me out a new unit right away.  New unit has two accurate temp probes and a range of 30-40 feet depending on where I am in the house.  Line-of-sight range outside is about 80-90 feet.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

zeek

Thanks for the site on the thermometer testing. i checked the Maverick probe in boiling water and the temperature was high and as I reduced the temperature the food and smoker probe temperatures atarted to vary farther apart, at room temperature off by 10 degrees. Maverick has been great and are sending a new probe. I orginally compared the Maverick food probe to a probe I tested previously in boiling water and another digital probe. The other probes matched but the Maverick was off by 10 - 20 degrees. I would compare your digital probes to an instant thermometer your fisrt few uses.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by zeek</i>
 I would compare your digital probes to an instant thermometer your fisrt few uses.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good advice for all thermometers, no matter what type or how (in)expensive, or whether they'rre used for cooking or something else!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA