• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tough chicken skin

Started by Phantom Smoker, July 27, 2010, 09:07:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom Smoker

Ive made chicken wings and they turned out great. Then I made other chicken and the skin was very tough, why is that? What do I change. The meat itself was great. ;D

TestRocket

You can try going to the grill or under the broiler to crisp up the skin. The last thighs I did in the smoker once they were done I added my sauce and put them on a hot grill for a few minutes and helped a lot. 

hal4uk

Smoking temps aren't really high enough to "crisp" chicken skin.
Like TR said, you can finish on the grill, or a lot of folks around here swear by their "Big Easy" for that purpose.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

I do a lot of split chicken breasts and Beer Can chickens...   We just ditch the skin.

Phantom Smoker

Gonna try beer can chicken next. Ill give these ideas a try. Some of us do ditch the skin.

Smokin Soon

If you do a lot of Poultry the Big Easy is a perfect compliment for a Bradley. I was not happy with the texture of the skin at all out of the Bradley. Now every thing Poultry gets smoked-cooked until about 145-150 internal temp and into the Big Easy for a perfect finish. A 16 lb Turkey will cook just fine in a Bradley, but finished in a Big Easy it's hard to tell its not fried.

Phantom Smoker