• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Injection question

Started by HCT, June 17, 2005, 05:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HCT

First, what is the purpose of it?
How much do you know how to inject?
When is it done and do you use the same brine that it's sitting in?
Any other thoughts on the matter that I missed is appreciated.

Mickey
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

jhurlbur

The purpose of injection pumping is to speed up the curing time.  It is especially important with bone-in hams to shorten the curing times so there is no spoilage around the bone.

I use it when I'm curing any large cut of meat. Just impatient and can't wait to get it on the smoker[;)][}:)]

Usually I pump 10 to 15 percent of the weight of the meat with the same brine it cures in.

Here is a pic of my pump. I bought it over 15 years ago so I don't know if Morton still makes them but I saw one similar on www.butcher-packer.com for around $30.00

Hope this helps.

BigSmoker

You can also inject for flavor enhancement.  I used to regularly inject chickens, boston butt and Brisket to enhance the flavor and speed cooking times.  I now have a Reveo Vacuum Tumbler to marinate my product with so I don't inject anymore.  Anyway I would use a 10% solution compared to the weight of what I was injecting.  One example is to inject a 7 lb Boston Butt with 50% Dale's sauce and apple juice.  Give it a try[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

HCT

I just picked up a couple of injectors at cabelas. On sale for $7.99 for the 4 ounce. Should have got a couple more as from what I heard they run into rusting after a while. True or not?
Thanks,
Mickey
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

jhurlbur

BigSmoker, how do you like the Reveo? I read some reviews and they were all good.  Does it really make sirloin steak tender enough to cut with a butter knife? I want to get one but the price is scaring me off. ($240.00 Canuck Bucks plus shipping and tax) Will it do a 5lb boneless butt?

Also does any of the northern members know if there is a distributor here north of the 49th?

John

Remington

I use the Cajun injectors alot and love them, they really shine on wild game. The purpose is to eliminate the need to really marinate at all. If you use about an ounce perpound on most meats it turns out moist and tasty.

As others mentioned they are also used to pump brines, something I have yet to try and will leave to others more qualified. The injector that Cajun Injector makes for $20 holds up great, the plastic are junk imop.

Remington

JJC

John, the Reveo is really worth the money.  Give nsxbill a jingle--he might be able to help you out on a deal for one.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mickey</i>
<br />I just picked up a couple of injectors at cabelas. On sale for $7.99 for the 4 ounce. Should have got a couple more as from what I heard they run into rusting after a while. True or not?
Thanks,
Mickey
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Just bought a couple myself--don't know about the rusting--don't see why they would if they were dried will, but what do I know about drying dishes and things . . .

Your post reminds me to remind Chez:  When you get a chance (as if you're not busy enough . . .), please create a new category under the Consumables and Accessories Group for Big Sales/Deep Discounts.  Thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mickey</i>
<br />I just picked up a couple of injectors at cabelas. On sale for $7.99 for the 4 ounce. Should have got a couple more as from what I heard they run into rusting after a while. True or not?
Thanks,
Mickey
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've had one for a couple of years. The one I have is made of stainless steel, so I've had not problems with rust.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)