• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Tri Tip?

Started by Rogue1, August 06, 2010, 11:32:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rogue1

I just got my Bradley yesterday and when I got home from work I found myself in the backyard at 1am trying to get some Tri Tip steak going.  I am not a seasoned smoker like some of you but my concern was that I found the steak to be dry and very very smokey flavored.  was it to hot? cold? to long? to many pucks? I had it in there on medium for about 6 hours. I am assuming it was to warm for that amount of time... should I only use 2 hours worth of pucks?   Any advice?

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Rogue1!

What flavor smoke?

Six hours is a lot for a tri-tip, IMHO.

I would probably put 2 hours on it or until the IT is 105F, then transfer to a hot grill until the IT is 124F for medium rare.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Rogue1 ....... Welcome!

Sounds like you went a little too far with the smoke and cook time.

Here's some things that might help.

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

You might want to check out our FAQ's
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=748#post748

Try this link to get your pictures going.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=768&postcount=11

Rogue1

Thank you all for the help, I am assuming all this smoking I will be doing will be a great learning process! Should I keep the smoke to it the entire 2 hours? Or does it just depend on my taste?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Rogue1 on August 06, 2010, 01:52:37 PM
Thank you all for the help, I am assuming all this smoking I will be doing will be a great learning process! Should I keep the smoke to it the entire 2 hours? Or does it just depend on my taste?

The amount of smoke is a very subjective thing. You will learn what you like and don't like. Some flavors are stronger than others. Mesquite is the strongest, then Hickory and Oak, Pecan, Maple, Apple, Alder.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Uncle Pigfat

I did the exact same thing for my first smoke experience, except I did ribs.  I wasn't aware of these forums until a few months later, so naturally I ate a lot of really smokey, dry ribs.  There's definitely a learning curve and our mistakes help us learn.  Even though the mistakes are frustrating, it's also fun to see improvement every time.  It's a shame that delicious meat becomes less desirable during this time but when you nail it consistently later on it's totally worth it.  Having a small army of fanatics to help you out doesn't hurt either  ;D

beefmann

welcome to the forum,

id start  off with two hours of smoke and adjust from there .. if at 2 hours is still to  much, remove 1 bisquette... 2 hours  not  enough add 1  and keep going till you  find what you  like... my opinion is it  depends on what you  like and  the type of  wood you  are  using,  hickory and  misquette are  strong  woods so 2 hours might be  good ,,  while your  mild or sweet  woods  yuou  might  use 3  or more  hours

BigJohnT

I've never smoked a tri tip before but might try it. My favorite way to cook one is to rub on some garlic powder and Strawberries Steak Shake. Fold the small end up so the meat is more of a rectangle (for more even cooking) and wrap with two layers of foil. Place off the heat on my grill on low till the IT gets to about 120F pull from the grill and cover with a towel to rest for a bit till the IT gets up to 135-140F then slice on a diagonal from top to bottom so the pieces are wider. The juice will fill up your plate...

John