• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Marinading Jerky

Started by pdubbu, August 22, 2010, 07:24:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdubbu

Hey guys,

Just made a batch of jerky nuggets this weekend and they're great.

But I have one problem, the marinade didn't seem to go through all of the meat.  I put the meat and marinade it zip locks into the fridge for 2 days + and rotated it every 8-12hrs. 

Just wondering what methods you guys use to marinade you meat for jerky?

Thanks!

NePaSmoKer

Meat will only take so much marinade. Nature of the beast

If you have a vac tumbler like a Reveo it will open the meat fibers allowing more marinade penetration.

Quarlow

If when you rotate your bags you massage them around real good it should get mixed through real good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

mow_delon

You are making nuggets.  When you marinade a stake, it don't get to the middle, either.

FLBentRider

When I do nuggets I use a dry cure/rub.

I don't worry about the flavor getting all the way through.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Indy Smoker

Foe making jerky you can't beat a vacuum tumbler like the Reveo.  A vac tumbler is the BEST way to get the flavor in jerky.  I use the Lem mix with a tumbler and it comes out perfect every time

pdubbu

Thanks for the tips and suggestions.....I've looked into the reveo, they are little pricey.  Food saver has a vacuum bag sealer that you can buy accessories for, they have a marinator that works something like the reveo I think....

http://www.foodsavercanada.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=27

BigJohnT

It's more important to separate the meat to allow the marinade to soak in. Even in the vacuum marinade chambers if you have two pieces of meat next to each other it is just like one big piece of meat and the marinade can't work it's way in. Try it again in the bags but move the meat parts around a few times until you don't see any red... I have the best success with a corning ware dish and some plastic wrap for a lid. I just peel the plastic back and stir the bits or if strips I take them out and put them back so they get contact with the marinade.

John

Gizmo

I have used the foodsaver canisters.  I just shake it up a few times.  Let the air back in.  Vaccuum it again, shake, and then let it sit with an occasional shake until it has sat there long enough for me to be happy.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

mow_delon

Personally, I like ice cream buckets with lids.  Shake them up once a day and good to go.

bundy

I agree with Big john, Before I got my Reveo I would kneed the meat like dough in the baggies to make sure the marinade got to work all the meat surfaces

chiroken

I just put all the strips into a big mixing bowl (I've done 4-6lb batches), saran wrapped the top and put into the fridge. Once in awhile I  took it  out and mixed it all up. Just make sure you don't have pieces stuck together or else the marinade won't make contact there. Marinaded overnight, smoked the next am.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

slyenzo

Hi Everyone in smoke land...lol  lol
Just got my new DBS... was waiting for 10 days but finally here, I read a lot of post last night about reaching proper temps, few members having few issues with the DBS, All I want to say is, I just fired her up and put my jerky in and so far in last 2hrs its done its thing, proper temp and good smoke, just like tey advertised, plug it in and set and leave it, This thing is amazing.

For my marinade I picked up a bottle at grocery store of Teriyaki Club house marinade and poured it on the meat and left in the fridge over night and let me tell you, the smell in that smoker is awesome,

I set it for 140min of smoke and 4 hours for remainder at 160 degrees, hope my first batch comes good.

All the best

chiroken

GL, once you taste that first batch you'll never cough up the big bucks to buy again!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Chili Head

QuoteI set it for 140min of smoke and 4 hours for remainder at 160 degrees, hope my first batch comes good.

I'm sure it will be great!! Show us some pics when it's done  :D ;)