• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

I have an idea!! (Boy that should scare the H&LL out of ya'!)

Started by TMB, June 04, 2011, 02:14:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TMB

Got a call from a friend today, he was just checking in on me to see how my hand was doing after the surgery. 

Now somewhere in the conversation we started talking BBQ (go figure) and the idea of smoking meat with little to no rub, spice injection or slather came up.  He told me he had cooked a butt in his SRG with smoke to add flavor but that was about it no rub's, no spice injection or slathers on the meat just pure pig, heat and smoke that's all.

My thought was this, get a few good folks on this site to give it a try and see what they think.  Just let the meat and smoke do the talking ( ok a very small pinch of salt and pepper is ok but nothing else) and give your results.  Tomany times I think we use rubs, spice's or slathers to cover up darn good meat.

So give it a try report back and let see what happens.

Just call me Lefty!   ;D
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

TestRocket

FLBentRider

Interesting idea.

I would venture to guess that you would end up with smoky roast pork.

Maybe I'll give this a try next time I do butts.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

TMB

Quote from: FLBentRider on June 04, 2011, 02:19:39 PM
Interesting idea.

I would venture to guess that you would end up with smoky roast pork.

Maybe I'll give this a try next time I do butts.
No you end up with good pulled pork just without the rub.  But you do get an idea on the best wood or wood combos to try.  If the meat is good to start with then the end result should be a good one 
Live, ride, eat well and thank God!

pensrock

Lefty, I normally only use salt, pepper and granulated garlic on briskets and they come out great, that is when I can find one around here.

Hope your doing well after the surgery.  :)

OU812

Like pens said, all I do on a brisket is salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder.

Just a light dusting, I like to taste the beef.  ;D

Dont know why I dont do the same on pork.  ::)

Hows the hand doin lefty?

La Quinta

I do the same...I'm not much on the rubs...I'm a purist with a big piece of meat...steaks...pork...chicken...the smoke does all the talking...cook it right...it doesn't need all that stuff...

Just my humble opinion... :)

OU812

Quote from: La Quinta on June 05, 2011, 01:47:41 AM
I do the same...I'm not much on the rubs...I'm a purist with a big piece of meat...steaks...pork...chicken...the smoke does all the talking...cook it right...it doesn't need all that stuff...

Just my humble opinion... :)

Well said.

La Quinta

I must say tho...I do enjoy a compound butter under that chicken skin!!!  :D And with a loin (pork)...I punture the fat and stuff in rosemay and garlic...killer!!! But...we adore garlic here!!!  ;D

3rensho

Quotecook it right...it doesn't need all that stuff...

LQ, IMHO your are right on the money with that.  I like to buy good meat and taste the meat.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.