• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ribs Again

Started by pkadare, June 27, 2005, 02:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pkadare

I've been dilligently reading through the forums (just got my BS yesterday) and I'm totally confused with regards to smoking ribs. Some of the rib recipes I've seen here look like they take around 9 hours or so from start to finish. Seems like an awfully long time to me, but then again, I'm a n00b.
I'm having a bunch of folks over on the weekend and was planning on doing ribs in the BS. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the following recipe and its suitability for the BS - http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/32162/. I did ribs using this method on my grill last year using indirect heat and they were great. Of course this year I want to use the BS.

Thanks!

http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
"The English language, complete with irony, satire, and sarcasm, has
survived for centuries without smileys. Only the new crop of modern computer geeks finds it impossible to detect a joke that is not clearly labeled as such."
Ray Shea

goalieboy29

If people want to use smilies why does that bother Ray Shea? Sounds like someone didn't pass sandbox....

Detect any irony, satire or sarcasm?[:)][:D][8D][:I][:o)][;)]

goalieboy29

It's the wood that makes it good...
It's the wood that makes it good.

Phone Guy

I did some baby backs last week. I put them in at about 7:00am and thought they'd take all day. I had them in at about 210. My Wife made it home at about 11:00 and called to ask if she needed to do something with the ribs. The Maverick said smoker temp was 239 and meat temp was 209. I panicked and screamed "pull them out!" The ribs were great I think I may have had the probe in thin spot or something but they were done. The temp went up due to the sun and outside temp. I'm just glad my Wife stopped by the house. After that she did the FTC and they were still warm that evening. So your better off doing the ribs early and then FTC.

MWS

On the weekend I did some baby backs and beef ribs. I simply did a dry rub in the morning and let sit for one hour. I then placed them in the pre-heated Bradley and smoked for 3 hours using hickory and oak wood @ 210F. At the 3 hour mark I removed them from the smoker and wrapped them in foil with some (2 tbls) apple juice. I then placed them back in the smoker for about 2 more hours. I let them rest in the foil for about 20 mins and then dug into some fantastic ribs. Total time spent in the Bradley was about 5 hours.

PS If you don't already have it, Smoke and Spice by the Jamesons (recipe book) is a great resource for recipe's tips etc..

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

pkadare

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mws</i>
<br />At the 3 hour mark I removed them from the smoker and wrapped them in foil with some (2 tbls) apple juice. I then placed them back in the smoker for about 2 more hours. I let them rest in the foil for about 20 mins and then dug into some fantastic ribs. Total time spent in the Bradley was about 5 hours.

PS If you don't already have it, Smoke and Spice by the Jamesons (recipe book) is a great resource for recipe's tips etc..

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the reply! When you placed the ribs back in the BS in the foil, was that also at 210 degrees?
I just got back from Chapters with my copy of Smoke and Spice!

http://www.identit.ca/blogs/paul/
"The English language, complete with irony, satire, and sarcasm, has
survived for centuries without smileys. Only the new crop of modern computer geeks finds it impossible to detect a joke that is not clearly labeled as such."
Ray Shea

eightball

pk
These guys in this forum are like the McGuyvers of the smoking world. You will get some of the best advice available anywheres. Go with the flow. A lot of cooking and smoking is science , chemistry and a lot of intuition. You will get to know your Bradley and it will become kind of second nature. I havent gottten a bad piece of advice from any one on here, and the experimenting has been delightful.
Good luck and look forward to the time that you will be contributing.
Jay[8]

MWS

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Thanks for the reply! When you placed the ribs back in the BS in the foil, was that also at 210 degrees?
I just got back from Chapters with my copy of Smoke and Spice!

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yup, keep it cooking (no smoke) @ 210F. Your going to enjoy Smoke and Spice. I used the 'Wild Willies Number-onederful' rub.

<i><font color="green"><b>Mike </i></font id="green"></b>

<i><font color="black">"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved".</i></font id="black">
 -John Wayne

Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"