• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Maverick ET-73 temperature test

Started by smoker pete, September 17, 2010, 03:18:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Last weekend I smoked some chicken halves ... turned out great and no, no photos  :'(  - sorry won't happen again ... and like many previous posts I too had the same concerns with the door temp gauge.  Could not get temp over 200F, etc.  Knew things were wrong so I ordered me a Maverick ET-73 thermometer.  Ran a test with the vent fully open, smoke generator on (no bisquettes) and probes inserted through door.

Here are the results I got which to say the least shocked me but verified that my OBS is working properly and that the door temp is wrong:
Door temp:     Mav ET-73 temp:
200F             228F
220F             257F
As per Mav ET-73 the smoker reached a temp of 250F in 20 minutes
265F             290F in 40 minutes   Stopped at 290F cause I don't think I needed to go any higher.

Have a question about where and how to mount my temp probe.  I chose to clip it to the second rack from the bottom.  See photo.

Where and how do people mount/clip their temp probes?  Have bought an Auber PDI and can't wait to test it and smoke something.  Gonna smoke me some babybacks this Sunday for the first time.  Going to follow the recipe from TenPoint5.  Will report ... with photos.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

Wildcat

Most of the time I let it dangle just below and to the left side of the lowest rack of meat. When I do clip it on, it is in the same general location. Just do not let the end of the probe touch metal or your temp readings can be off.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

I place my cabinet probe underneath the bottom rack. If you place it too close to the meat or in between racks you are going to get a lower reading. When meat cooks it gives off moisture, and this moisture evaporates as soon as it escapes from the meat. During the process of evaporation, it uses the heat in the surrounding area causing a temperature drop. This can cause the temperature to drop as much as 40°F.

Using the reading from a probe in an area where it can be effected by evaporation, will cause you to apply a much higher temperature to the bottom rack. So I feel it is best to place it under the bottom rack, and rotate your trays during the cooking cycle.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)