• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Football kickoff

Started by briangratch, September 12, 2010, 08:06:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briangratch

Good morning folks.  This is my first real test w/ my smoker.  Did some chicken breasts on Thursday, but going w/ 2 1/2 racks (6 lbs) of baby backs today.  went w/ nice dry rub and let the meat sit over night w/ it on.  Have had the smoker on for 70 min now and the temp is around 175.  Got the temp almost all the way up.  Should I be concerned?  Smells really good outside, I'm sure I'm torturing neighbors.  Will check back in with pictures later. 

GusRobin

Is that the temp with the meat in? If yes, then you should be okay. Did you put cold water in the puck catcher bowl? That will keep the temp low as it tries to heat up the water. What is your vent set at. A closed vent will retain moisture and keep it cooler (I cook wide open with all).
What are you reading the temp from? If the dooor probe I find that that is usally behind the actual temp whiel the temp is rising. Once the temp stabilizes it gets more accurate. Has to do with the heat flow etc.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

briangratch

Thanks Gus.  I have vent half open.  It's up around 200 now, so i think we're good.  Going w/ temp gauge on the door.  Water is in the bowl.  Smells ridiculous outside.  ;D

KyNola

GR just asked all of the right questions.  If that's with meat in you're good to go.  If not "Houston we have a problem".  Just saw your response.  Open the vent a little more.  Sounds like you've got it under control!  Way to go.

GusRobin

Regarding the water bowl, always use hot water (as hot as you can safely handle) when putting the water in. It saves a lot of time.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

briangratch

Ribs came out great.  Ended up smoking for 3 hours and wrapped in foil for almost another 2.  I think they could've been a little more tender, but the natives were gettign restless in my house so i pulled them out.  Not dry at all, smoky + spicy.  Love this smoker. 

Tenpoint5

Sounds like everything went well. That extra hour might have help you some. I will toss it up to the consumption of Adultry Beverages, but where's them pics you promised. No Pic = It didn't Happen   ;D ;D
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

KYNola  Reel him in ----gotta another one

KyNola

Jig jig pause
Jig jig pause
Jig jig...we've hooked another one! :D

briangratch

Sorry it took so long...will post the pics tonight. 

briangratch

Here we go with some pics.

Putting on the rub.

Into the Bradley

Almost Done

Delicious

DTAggie

Wow that smoker is shiney.  Glad you enjoyed the ribs.

TestRocket

Quote from: DTAggie on September 16, 2010, 09:56:09 PM
Wow that smoker is shiney. 

That's what I was thinking!

Along with Congrats!