• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Need help fast!!! Trouble with my pulled pork

Started by Superman in Training, July 02, 2005, 01:49:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superman in Training

I have read a couple different recipes and most of them said to cook my pork shoulder for appox 4-5 hrs or until it temps 180. It has been 6hrs and it still only temps 160.. Should I keep smoking ? Or pull it out and FTC it?

It is getting late and I am starving

Foam Steak

Not sure where you live or what size chunk you are smoking.  Here in Colorado for a regular size pork butt it is well over 12 hours go get it 180.  160 is done, but it probably wont pull apart. Probably taste great.  But it won't pull apart.  If you are hungry pull it out and eat it.

Superman in Training

Yeah I finally pulled it out.. it was done, but it definitely didn't pull apart. It was pretty good, but I was expecting a little more.. seemed a little dry and a little tough.

It was a 7.5 lb pork shoulder boned and tied.

nsxbill

Depending on the size of course, I never allow the temp of the cabinet to go over 205.  I vacuum marinate in my Commercial tumbler after slicing fat cap both ways to allow marinade to penetrate.  Typically I use a large bottle of French's mustard, about a cup of coca cola syrup for fountain use, and some Pappy's rub...about 1/2 cup.  I let it sit overnight for the flavors to permeate, then apply dry rub about an hour before the smoke, while the smoker is coming up to temp.  

I preheat to 275° then cover the meat with bacon strips, and put the remainder of the bacon on the top shelf to drip down.  Fat cap up into the smoker.  I go to internal 187°-190°F.  It can take 24hrs to get there.  I change out the water every 4 hours.  The meat is on the highest shelf . If doing more than one, I actually use my other BS to do #2.  I typically do 13-14lbs at a time (bone in) per smoking session.  After meat comes to temp, I FTC for 2-6°, and pull all the meat at once.  I want to try this in a ham bag some time and just hang from rack from sausage rack.  Hate cleaning shelves!

Sandwiches galore, the shredded meat is sealed into vacuum sealed bags with sauce in 1# portions for enjoying later.  Always like butter when I follow this pattern.  Unbelievably tender.  The best you could find anywhere, except another Bradley Smoker!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Foam Steak

I did one this week for 4 hours at about 200 then stuck it on the rotiseree.  Dang, how do you spell RO-TIS-ER-EEE?  Anyway I threw it on the rotisereee on my gas grill and kept it at 210 until it was 171F.  I think that helped keep it moister.  Moister? Is that a word?  Anyway, I tried it without any rub or marinade or anything.  Turned out great.  My wife and I just finished it off for breakfast.

Cold Smoke

Hey Super- glad it was good. Just FYI- it does take a good while for the internal temp to go from 160 to 180- it kind of plateaus at that 160 temp range (collagen is beaking down) for a while then slowly climbs to that magic 180 when the meat becomes pullable. It's well worth the wait if you have the time- maybe next time.

Stay hungry!

Cold Smoke

Superman in Training

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Hey Super- glad it was good. Just FYI- it does take a good while for the internal temp to go from 160 to 180- it kind of plateaus at that 160 temp range (collagen is beaking down) for a while then slowly climbs to that magic 180 when the meat becomes pullable. It's well worth the wait if you have the time- maybe next time.

Stay hungry!

Cold Smoke
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Collagen!!  man I couldn't remember for the life of me what that was called. Thanks!
Yes next time I will cook it much longer! can't wait!
Do I smoke it the whole time? Or do I just smoke for 4 hrs or so and then just keep it cooking for the rest?

Cold Smoke

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Superman in Training Posted -  
quote:
Do I smoke it the whole time? Or do I just smoke for 4 hrs or so and then just keep it cooking for the rest? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">]

I ususally give it 4 hrs of smoke then change/refill the water bowl and let it cook until 180 or 190. And if you still have time and your belly button isn't making suction noises with your backbone, FTC for a couple of hours is worth it. Shred it up, and stack a pile on a nice fresh bun with sauce and inhale. Then stack a pile on a nice fresh bun with sauce and inhale. Then stack a pile on a nice fresh bun with sauce and inhale.....[;)]

Oh yeah....cold beer in between bites.[^]

Cold Smoke