• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

A change of heart

Started by SL2010, November 07, 2010, 05:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL2010

After the discussion today about the K-A not going good enough for what i want to do i returned now I'm shopping for what i need i am looking at a Deni 3500 800watt professional grinder any thoughts my wife says she found it for 100 dollars and it comes with a stuffer thanks

Sailor

I think using any brand or type of grinder for stuffing sausage is creating more work than what it is worth.  Kinda look at it this way.  A grinder is built to grind meat.  A stuffer is built to stuff sausage.  Trying to save money and buy a machine that will do both may not be the best investment.  Kinda like you can buy a good car and it works great on land.  You buy a boat and it works great on the water.  You try to buy a combo car/boat and in the end you are not that happy.  You will be able to stuff sausages using any grinder that comes with an attachment.  But if you are planning to do a lot of sausage you will soon get tired of fighting it and will end up buying a stuffer.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Smokin Soon

Sailor's on the money. If I would kept trying to use the grinder as a stuffer, I just would have given up. The wife did not like all of the cursing!

GusRobin

Most grinders come with stuffers. My plan was to buy the decent grinder and use it as a stuffer until i decided if I liked sausage making. After a few weeks of making sausage I plan on continuing. While I can make it with using the grinder as a stuffer, it is more work. A stuffer that is designed as a stuffer is easier to control when making the sausage. So my recommendatiom is that if the budget can afford it, you plan on a decent grinder and soon after plan on buying a decent stuffer. The LEM 5lb goes for about $130, or Grizzley offers one that goes for $72. It is basically the same as the LEM but has plastic gears. While the LEM and its metal gears are better, the few people I know that have the Grizzley are happy with it. Depends on how much sausage you plan to do and if paying the $60 extra is worth it to you.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Habanero Smoker

If I recall your last thread on this subject, you stated you grind 10 - 15 pounds of meat occasionally. I use the KitchenAid (5 qt. 475 watt) with the grinder attachment; using speed setting #5. When I make sausage I grind up to 15 pounds, making 3 types of sausages. It's not the fastest in the world, but it does  a fairly good job.

You 300 watt should handle 15 pounds without problems. With the KitchenAid grinder I find that the meat feeds faster and easier if you cut it into strips. If you are not sure if you are going to expand how much sausage you will be making, I would get the KA grinder (without the stuffer), and a 5 pound vertical stuffer, and save the grinder for a future purchase.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SL2010

Well i took the K-A back and i got the green light to get what i want from the boss she says to get what i want and need to do the job right the first time the grinder and the stuffer i am looking at will be cheater and easier than the K-A with all the accessories thanks for the input i will post picks for my new toys and of my first stuffin

carnie1

RAF128

You should have kept the KA.   You could have used it to mix your meat and spices prior to stuffing.   I've used my wifes and it worked great but she didn't like.   I've got a Bosch mixer and use it.   Works great too with smaller batches up to 5-6lbs.  

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: RAF128 on November 09, 2010, 06:12:31 AM
You should have kept the KA.   You couldn't have used it to mix your meat and spices prior to stuffing.   I've used my wife's and it worked great but she didn't like.   I've got a Bosch mixer and use it.   Works great too with smaller batches up to 5-6lbs.   

I think maybe you meant COULD have....?

I'd love to have a KA mixer for mixing prior to stuffing....  but I've got a serious self-imposed moratorium on new gadgets right now....  no more space in the kitchen! ;D

RAF128

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on November 09, 2010, 06:33:30 AM
You should have kept the KA.   You couldn't have used it to mix your meat and spices prior to stuffing.   I've used my wife's and it worked great but she didn't like.   I've got a Bosch mixer and use it.   Works great too with smaller batches up to 5-6lbs.   

I think maybe you meant COULD have....?

I'd love to have a KA mixer for mixing prior to stuffing....  but I've got a serious self-imposed moratorium on new gadgets right now....  no more space in the kitchen! ;D

You're absolutely right and I'll fix it.

Habanero Smoker

You should have kept the KA.   You could have used it to mix your meat and spices prior to stuffing.   I've used my wifes and it worked great but she didn't like.   I've got a Bosch mixer and use it.   Works great too with smaller batches up to 5-6lbs.  

I agree. Plus it is a multifunctional kitchen appliance that can be used in a variety of food preparation.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

I have these things on the end of my arms called hands that are the best meat mixers i ever had  :D