• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pickling/canning habeneros

Started by Mailman, November 01, 2010, 06:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mailman

Taking a crack at this for the first time. Ingredients: water, vinegar, salt, garlic clove. I added (not in recipe) scant sugar and dill weed. In water bath for 15 min. Anybody else can these? already smoked and dried a bunch. Oh also did one jar of jalepenoes same way. So whats your input?
If to error is human. Than I'm more human than most.

squirtthecat

Pachanga has a post here about cold pickling Jalapenos.

BuyLowSellHigh

Probably do need sugar, and depending on your taste more than scant.

Here's a link to a version from a guy who is a great pastry chef, who now lives in Paris and writes about food.  Within the blog article he also has a link to one from Michael Ruhlman, and at the bottom a link to instructions for canning for extended storage.  All good stuff.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Pachanga

BLSH,

Good link.  I haven't read it all but there appears to be some good knowledge on several subjects.

Squirt,

I like your link too.   :D :D

I am still pickling peppers.  In fact I plan on putting up twenty to thirty jars before winter.  The only change is I have bought a cutting blade for my food processor that is a little fatter cut than the other two that came with the machine (Trappy slice width).  I place four or five jalapenos in the feeder tube in alternating directions. This cuts (pun intended) the time down considerably.

Pachanga

Gizmo

Now that was a nice diversion of links.
Thanks BLSH.
I copied a few recipies out that and now have some more preservative methods for the peppers.

I liked the link on the Pickled Red Onions as well.  Been doing them from my mom's recipe, well actually her memory, from time to time.  Was wondering what the ingredient measurements were suppose to be.  Does seem to be a bit of variation with the sugar amount between the versions.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/