Turkey Brine

Started by DTAggie, November 14, 2010, 07:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

I know I have read about this a few times but want to clarify.  If a turkey has been injected with a solution, can you brine or not?  Bought two turkey's today and it says they have an 8% solution of turkey broth etc.  If you should not brine such a turkey, where do you find a turkey thathos not been injected with a solution?

Habanero Smoker

Brining a turkey with 8% brine solution I don't believe will accomplish much. Depending on the salinity of the brine you are putting the bird into it may make it saltier or less salty, because liquid in the cells will continue to exchange fluid until equilibrium is obtained. Over all it may not be worth the effort, and the flavoring of your brine may not change the flavoring of the bird. For turkeys that are not injected, some supermarkets have them, you can ask the butcher or meat cutter if they can order one, or if you have a specialty meat market they generally carry them.

There is one brining method that will work on pre-brined birds, and that is one that Panchange posted. Hopefully he will be on to link you to that post. What he does is us a low salt brine with other flavors and  seasonings, and brines for 2 - 3 days. I believe with the low salt brine, reverse osmosis first takes place, then osmosis occur to draw the flavors back into the bird. The key is the low salt, and the long brining period. Also his brine mix looks really good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

BuyLowSellHigh

I think this is might be Pachanga brine HabS was referring to.

Brine Pachanga – A Low Salt Poultry Flavor Brine
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

DTAggie

classicrockgriller

Wow! Thanks Guys for the link.

Got her book mark.

Last year I Brined a Turkey that was injected with an 8% solutation and it came out pretty good.

But maybe the low salt brine will take it to a new level.