• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pork Loin Roast

Started by smoker pete, October 25, 2010, 07:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smoker pete

Snelly's pork loin smoke inspired me to smoke one using my new Frogmats that I just got from Bryan at Yard and Pool.  Even after doing a little research on the forum I was still a little reluctant to pull the loin at 150º - 155º.  A few have suggested an IT of 140º - 145º  :o   Anyway, chose to follow everyone's lead after reading some convincing data on the safety and pulled with an IT of 156º.  Old habits are hard to break! :-\

Swung down to WallyMart and found me a nice little Boneless Pork Loin and dusted it with a little of my favorite seasoning

Preheated OBS to 225º with my PID and applied 3 hours of smoke - 2 to 1 ratio with Pecan and Special Blend.  Pulled with an IT of 156º after a total cooking time of 3 1/2 hours.  The Loin was only 3.75 lbs.  I was curious to see if the pop-up thermometer would blow it's top signaling that it was done but it never did  :(

FTC for an hour and hacked off a few slices.  Very moist and tender with a nice smoke flavor

The $$shot ... served with some scalloped taters and steamed cauliflower/carrots/broccoli.  Got to have those vegies!!

I believe I'm going to like these FrogMats.  Maybe it was just me but it appeared that cleanup was a lot smoother or maybe it was that the Loin didn't drip as much as other meats.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

seemore

smoker pete Frogmat clean up very easy love them yourfood looks great
seemore...........

SnellySmokesEm

Looks good Pete.  The next time I do the loin again I will pull at 140ish if its going into a crockpot again.  If I am serving it after ftc 150 is where I would pull it out.  Great Job!!!!
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

Habanero Smoker

If that pop up can with the loin, then it would not have popped up until the loin hit 165° - 170°. I'm one that will only take the pork to 142° - 145° as the final internal meat temperature.

Commercially U.S. raised pork is raise much differently then it was in the past; their feed no long contains remains of pig carcases, and the chances of getting trichinosis if very small. Also today's digital thermometers are very accurate to within + or - 2°F. The trichinosis parasite is destroyed at 137°F, and the recommended 150° meat temperature is a cushion in case your meat thermometer is inaccurate. I feel that the 150° is too large of a cushion, once pork goes beyond 145°F it dries out quickly; but looking at your package it seems you purchased enhanced pork. So I feel with a good thermometer, and knowledge of the proper position of the probe, it is perfectly safe for the temperature range I am using. As an extra precaution you can use an instant read to double check the temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

I'm with Habs on this one - I do 142-145F as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Oysterhog

I tried this for the first time yesterday. Pulled it at 149°, FTC for 1 hour (144°), sliced it, then ate too much. Mine was 4.5 lbs and took only 4 hours in the smoker at 230°, so 5 hours total.  ;D

Pachanga

Another way to safely cook pork to low IT is by freezing.

According to the CDC site (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm#prevention):

"Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 o F to kill any worms."

The lower the temperature, the less days in the freezer.

I pull a pork tenderloin at 127 F for one dish I cook and I still sleep soundly.

Pachanga

SnellySmokesEm

Quote from: Pachanga on November 12, 2010, 10:55:22 AM
Another way to safely cook pork to low IT is by freezing.

According to the CDC site (http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasites/trichinosis/factsht_trichinosis.htm#prevention):

"Freeze pork less than 6 inches thick for 20 days at 5 o F to kill any worms."

The lower the temperature, the less days in the freezer.

I pull a pork tenderloin at 127 F for one dish I cook and I still sleep soundly.

Pachanga

Very interesting, thanks for sharing Pachanga.
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

ArnieM

Some people are a little skittish eating pork that might look a little pink.  I'm not.

I've done a loin a couple of times to 140-142, let it rest for a half hour and then cut it into one inch thick chops.  The chops get some Q sauce on the grill for a few minutes per side until darkened, but not too much.  It's a great combo to have the smoke, the grill and the Q sauce.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.