• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Brisket for Shredded BBQ?

Started by thejennelles, July 14, 2005, 08:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejennelles

This may be a silly man's question but I have not heard of anyone in the forum making shredded BBQ out of a beef brisket, my gut tells me it would do the same as pork brisket but just wanting to make sure I am not commiting a sin by not thin slicing the brisket.  Also any suggestions welcome on cook times, smoke times, and rubs/soaks if needed.  Thanks.

BigSmoker

Most folks slice the flat of the brisket and chop the point.  If u want to have pulled with the flat cook it to an internal of 200°f.  FTC with a little juice for at least an hour shred and enjoy.  Interesting you say pork brisket.  Not sure what they do with that cut but most of use use the Boston butt or picnic cut for pulled pork.  they are both from the shoulder.  Happy Smokin' and enjoy your brisket[:D].  Cook temps and times will vary but 4 hrs of hickory, oak, pecan, apple all works well.  Temps anywhere from 200-240f are acceptable and 2 hrs per lb maybe a little less maybe a little more[;)].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

thejennelles

I need to brush up on my cut terminology, I picked up pork brisket from an earlier post.  The main reason for me choosing a brisket was A) I wanted beef and B) it was the best looking piece of meet there.  Do you need to go to a butcher rather than a super market to get the larger/better cuts?

psdubl07

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Do you need to go to a butcher rather than a super market to get the larger/better cuts?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

The answer is maybe.  It depends on what your local supermarkets carry.  I go to a butcher because the quality is much better and they will do anything I ask within reason.  Trim some fat, leave it all, separate the point and the flat, etc....  It costs a bit more, but is worth it to me.

If you can only get a Select grade brisket at your supermarket, (you want a Choice grade one), or if there is not at <i>least </i>an 1/8 inch fat cap on it, then IMO you're better off going to a butcher.

nsxbill

If you are looking for a healthier alternative than pork, the option of turkey legs smoke slow and pulled is always a good alternative too!

It will all taste good, just some better than others!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

thejennelles

[:(]Just wanted to let everyone know that I should have left a brisket to do what they do best and that is thinly sliced against the grain.  My shredded attempt turned out terrible.  I did not throw any away but as I ate my creation I wondered why I was feeling so adventurous.  I do not recommend using a brisket for anything other than it's main purpose.  There are many that will read this and say well no S%*t but I being a greenhorn had to find out for myself. I know most people share great experiences and breakthroughs in the forum but I had to let all know that I ruined a good piece of meat in hopes that someone else may prevent the same.  Sorry to disapoint but I plan on getting back on the proverbial horse this weekend with a butt smoke or something more suited for pulled or shredded BBQ.

BigSmoker

Lets back up just for a moment.  A whole packer cut of brisket is made up of 2 pieces.  The flat and the point or deckle as some people call it.  The flat sits underneath the point and the grain of the point runs one way and the flat the other way.  Now I only do flats cause I don't need all that meat and really don't care about food savering to much cause I can cook/grill/smoke just about anytime I want(this may be a sad thing but hey it's what I do in my off time).  Now the way I see it the point ain't good for much else than pulling apart, just to much fat in it to slice.  Lots of folks will seperate the point and flat before cooking some after.  Point is you got to know what u got before u start. Many people will take the point and cook that sucker till it becomes kinda chewy like jerky.  They call it burnt ends and I hear it's really good.  Anyway what about the brisket wasn't right?  If u cooked it to 200f then FTC'ed for a hour or 2 with a little juice it should of pulled apart like pot roast.  Sounds like this needs a little more info before u just give up on it.  Happy Smokin'.

Jeff

thejennelles

Basically I seasoned the meat with S&P, smoked with hickory for 4 hours with gauge at about 225 , changed water cut off smoke and cooked for an additional hour.  After getting a reading of about 185 internal, I put in roasting pan covered with foil along with half water half applejuice in bottom of pan.  My time and temp in oven was 3 hours @275 then cut oven off and let stand in for additional 2 hours.  When pulled out meat was still extremely pink, almost like a highlighter, more rubbery than tender and very fatty/grainy internal temp apx 210.  Tried to shred but mostly just chunked up and rolled around.  Maybe the specific piece of meat is my problem.  My expectations were much different than end result.  I have roasted venison and beef in the oven before and this was not even close to how it reacted.  I guess I just was not in the right frame of mind?

BigSmoker

Most brisket flats I cook take around 12 hrs at 225-235.  Never had one anything but brown on the inside.  If the brisket was still pink and it had not been cured it was still no where close to done.  I think I might check my thermometer...  as a fail safe always insert a fork about 1/2" deep into the brisket and twist.  If it twists easily with little to no resistance your there.  Your bradley temp guage might be off as well.  Tested mine the other day and its about 50°f off[V].  Best to get a dual probe thermo that measures product temp and cabinet temp such as a Mavrick et-73 I believe it is.  Don't give up on your project to easy.  Check this link for what your brisket should have looked like either whole or seperated[:D].

Brisket Tutorial

Jeff

thejennelles

Jeff,

I took a look at the pics (which are awesome) and my brisket looked like it was a different species than those.  Mine was almost a perfect block square with about 1.5 inches of pink fat on top, super bright red and a touch slimey(I promise I bought what was labeled as a brisket).  I think my problem may be the meat and not my meat head[:D].  I will punt and start again, making sure that I get a good selection of meat this time.  I appreciate you chiming in and helping me out here.  I will keep you posted to how the next one turns out.  

Jason

tsquared

Just wanted to say that everybody learns from these "experiments" and it's all good.
T2