• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking Virgin............Help!

Started by jdchusker, July 15, 2005, 03:49:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdchusker

Hello all.  I just got my new Bradley smoker a couple of days ago and I'm diving into my first ever smoking experience this weekend.  I have to say the recipe booklet that comes with the smoker isn't too informative, so I'm looking for some guidance here.

I will be smoking a 9 pound turkey breast using hickory (since that's the only flavor I have).  While I'm smoking the turkey, I'm kicking around the idea of throwing a pound of bacon in and the in-laws think a couple of steaks would be interesting.  

Any assistance on where to begin, how long to smoke, etc. would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

nsxbill

JDChusker

Welcome to the forum:

Your questions about fowl and steak:

IMHO, applying smoke to fowl has to be limited to about 2 hrs...it just tastes too intense with more.  Smoke to the internal temp of the type of meat you will be using.  I really like Turkey Breast, and great deal on quality meats at the military commissary.  Last time I did breast, I did one in the smoker and one on a rotisserie using convection heater applying heat to from the side while rotating.   The BBQ Turkey breast was far moister, tender, and the crisp skin we have become accustomed to.  

I would christen the smoker using pecan on the chicken or oak, and maybe some hickory or mesquite for the beef.

When I do chicken or turkey in the smoker, I typically only apply smoke for 2 hours, external temp of smoker about 275° F., then finish on the BBQ to crisp up the skin.

Steak-forget it...It tastes better grilled.  I have done both beef and pork-cold smoking just to apply smoke flavor, but I frankly like it better just marinated and grilled.

Use the search of the site to check out the experiences others have had with the turkey breasts.  Lots of information there!

Also check out the recipe site that belongs to Olds:

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131

You probably already realize you posted this three times.  Easy rookie error.  Go back in and discard two of them.  When you post, be patient, it will eventually come up and you can check out your post.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

jdchusker

Bill -

Thanks for your input.  Yeah I know I posted three times.  It kept giving me a "timed out" message.  How do I discard posts?

Phone Guy

I agree, steaks are for grilling. Now if you were making jerky that would be a diffrent story. If you want smoke flavor on the steaks, buy a bag of chips and throw a few in the grill.

nsxbill

Looks like you figured it out. The server is in England, and if there is traffic, it just takes a little time for post to be made. Hope that reference helped you.  There is a wealth of information on both sites. On our BS site, the search capability is limited and cumbersome.  We are lucky Olds was around to step in with his website space for us.  

It is not that I don't like the meat prepared in the Bradley...I have two of them.  I just use them more for Pork Butt, and Brisket...  I love chicken wings done in the smoker and finished on the grill.  

Just recently had gastric bypass surgery, so nothing smoked for me for now.  Going to do up some salmon sides here soon, and if you ever want to try that, which I am sure you will, Kummok really has some good information posted up on prep and smoking of Salmon.  Fuzzybear's prep method also very good.  

Again welcome to the forum.  

You will need to branch out to some other flavors of wood.  I know it is overwhelming when you first start out trying to figure out what you like, and you will have to decide that yourself.  

I bought my Bradley before I knew about Chezbubba.com, but have purchased since.  I had also purchased multiple boxes of pucks.  If you have yet to decide where to get your pucks, you can't go wrong with chezbubba.com.  They also have some other things there that are worthwhile.  The Bubba pucks make your life easier, and I have both of their racks, the drying one and the sausage hanging rack made by one of the forum members for marketing by chez bubba.  

I recommend you pick up an external monitoring thermometer like the Maverick ET-73, or other.  I went a little over the top, and have the complete monitor controller from thebbqguru.com called the Procom4 and the Raptor controller.  It isn't needed.  It is just something I can justify and enjoy, and it allows me to walk away from the units and only return to change out shelves and the water bowl.

You can go crazy or go conservative.  The BS is a great smoker, and I know you will enjoy it.  Don't open the door to peek-use an external thermometer.  

Other rookie issues that are not clear in manual.  The point of the V goes down when smoking to allow drippings to collect and drop into the bowl.  You have to open the top vent while smoking about 1/4 - 1/3. You have to rotate the shelves when using multiple shelves.  The hottest position is lower in the cabinet as opposed to an oven.  When smoking, most things taste better when bacon used for flavor on top shelf. It drips down on everthing and improves flavor and moisture of product being smoked.  

Both the smoke generator and the heating element are on for the entire smoke cooking time and then after biskettes finished leave the generator on.  It regulates heat better.

Feel free to expirement.  Post up you successes and failures.  The stupid question is one you don't ask.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

MallardWacker

Bill so right on the smoke time, I concur 2hrs max.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Bad Flynch

"Smoking Virgin..."

Reminds me of an old <u>Playboy</u> joke.

Street interviewer to interviewee: "Do you smoke after sex?"

Interviewee: "I don't know, I never looked."

B.F.
B.F.

BigSmoker

I love cold smoked steaks with oak or hickory.  Unplug the cabinet from the generator and place a big pan of ice on the next to bottom shelf.  Add steaks on the top shelf vent all the way open.  Smoke for 2hrs then remove wrap in plastic wrap and in the fridge overnight.  Grill how ever u do it and enjoy.  The steak will have a pleasent but not overpowering smoke flavor.  Works best on NY strips or Sirloin for me.  When I first got my smoker I smoked chickens with mesquite for the entire time my wife finally gave up on eating them as it actually made her sick.  Finally dawned to much smoke[;)].  Happy Smokin' and welcome to the forum[:D][8D].

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

jdchusker

Thanks for all the comments and warm welcome!

Oldman

I agree with the link nsxbill gave you. Next I think you are trying to do too much out the gate.

As far as bacon goes are you talking about thick slice store bought and then re-smoking it? Or are you talking about curing a fresh belly and then smokin' it?

If store bought I suggest if you are going to be doing a far amount that you don't do it with your turkey. The reason is you will be opening your box more often to remove the bacon and thus killing the heat in the box and it will take longer for the turkey.

Now when I do store bought bacon I get thick slices. Stack them two slices high (one on top of the second one.) Fill up your racks. Go 2 hours at 200 F with whatever wood you have to work with. Remove after 2 hours allowing it to cool. Then wrap the bacon back up in plastic. Place in frig until you are ready to fry it. Bacon will be much better after a day or so in the frig as this will allow the smoke to cure through it more. Plus it will mellow out some.

Welcome to the forums! Good luck on your first smoke~~! [;)]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Oldman

Oh make sure your V shaped pan goes on the bottom and it is pointing down like this V.  Some have place it upside down like this / and then the juices will run out the bottom of the door and short out your unit.

Make sure to change out your water bowl at the 4 hour mark. Plus the number one rule of slow smoking is <b>No PEEK!</b>

Now if you follow Bassman recipe for that turkey it is a winner.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

Welcome, Jon . . . keep us posted on your experiences!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA