First Turkey Breasts

Started by DADAKOTA, November 22, 2010, 10:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DADAKOTA

Got a 5 pound whole breast and a 3 pound boneless breast.  Plan to evoo them and apply my rub.  Then 3 hours of smoke in the OBS (1 hickory per 2 apple) at 250 degrees until just shy of a 165 degree IT then FTC.  Will these be done at approximately the same time?  I am guessing 3 to 4 hours, is that about right?  Any other suggestions for me?  Both are butterballs so I am not brining them.

SoCalBuilder

Dadakota - I'm going to do my first Turkey breast this weekend also. I don't know what your experience is with poultry, but I have done chickens, usually two at a time  with a combined weight of around 7 to 8 lbs I suppose. I don't think I have ever gotten both of them to 165 IT in less than 6 to 7 hours. Our Thanksgiving is being delayed a couple days, so I will do it in advance and reheat or just tell them to make themselves a sandwich ;D

The FTC isn't really necessary with birds, but it will keep it warm. The skin, sadly my favorite part, is rubbery after smoking, so I'll throw in the oven or on the grill at about 155 IT to crisp it up and finish the cook.

I have an OBS with the single element.

Best of Luck and Happy Thanksgiving!

DADAKOTA

Wow 6-7 hours?  I didn't figure it would take any longer than 4. 

SoCalBuilder

Quote from: DADAKOTA on November 22, 2010, 01:41:36 PM
Wow 6-7 hours?  I didn't figure it would take any longer than 4. 
Yeah, that has sort of bothered me from the beginning. I have a hard time getting the box temp back up to temp after I load it. I do everything they say, like leave the meat out to get to room temp. before loading, use boiling water in pan, etc.

It seems like it would cook faster if the box temp came up to the desired level quicker, and I suspect that is the main reason people add the second heater. I don't know what percentage of moisture you loose out of a chicken when you cook it, but I suspect proportionally, it is greater than pork of beef. That may have something to do with the slow recovery time.

All I know is that the chicken has been moist and tasty when I get done. Again, this is also my first shot at turkey, so it will be interesting to see if there is a difference.

Randy

smoker pete

Dadakota,  Did a 6.4 lb bone-in turkey breast a while back and it took me 3 hours to reach an IT of 162ยบ.  Check out http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18459.msg223983#msg223983 to see the info and pics.  Not all OBS are created equal and then there's the ambient temp, wind, etc. that will affect things.  Good luck.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl