• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

The time has come!

Started by Jim O, November 24, 2010, 01:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim O

I figure it's time for me to investigate a PID,but don't know too much about them.

- what make is best
-what features should I look for
-are they hard to install
-how much $$$$
-anyone know of an Ontario supplier

Thanks,guys

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

smokeNcanuck

Jim,
I live in Ontario (South Western) and purchased an Auber.  I think it is what most people are using around here.
I have the dual probe,it does not have the option of working SG (OBS) as I believe the newest model does.  I like the dual probe because it gives you the option of controlling temp by either cabin temp or IT of meat.  The people at Auber are top shelf!!! There customer service is right up there with Bradley's.  The units they sell are simple "plug and play" maybe a small programming learning curve but it is really straight forward.  I would not make sausage with out one!  Their have been a few guys who have made there own, but that is over my head.  Check them out:http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=8&zenid=45db84a4fe3c525e31590303bd93dd06

So in short
-Auber
-what ever options you think you may need (dual probe or single)
-No they are quite simple
-depends which model you choose
-I would just go with the Auber!

Good luck,
SnC
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Tenpoint5

What SNC said should cover you just fine
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Jim O

Thanks for the info Smoke.

Is there a Canadian (Ont) distributor that you're aware of ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

smokeNcanuck

Don't think so :(
I ordered my right from Auber(off web site). They sent it by mail, Lucked out and did not have to pay tax or duty.  Some times you pay and some times you don't, I have had to pay duty on less expensive items.
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

beefmann

Jim,

depending on y what you are going to do, a Auber pid will do just fine. be aware there are two versions, 1  has a built in relay, the other needs an external solid state relay, both are good units , the one with a built in relay has a 10 amp max load while the solid state relays can handle heaver loads.

if  you are planning to do a cold smoke then cook, order there timer as well to control the smoker then it  will switch to the cooking process.

here is my Timer PID Controller and have used it for a few months now and it  works quite well

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=17304.0