• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hanging stuffed sausage prior to smoke?

Started by Friar_Tuck, November 27, 2010, 07:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Friar_Tuck

Hello there,
I have wondered this for a long time, and I see that there seems to be lots of helpful people here, so I will ask:
Can a person hang stuffed Summer/polish/salami etc. in the fridge for 24 hours of so prior to smoking?
The reason I ask, is that it would be nice to be able to grind, mix, and stuff enough sausage for a couple days worth of smoking.
That way I would have a lot less cleaning, and could do that when I have help, then do the smoking alone.
It has always seemed that it should be fine with the cure, and maybe even give the spices more time to permeate, but I have never heard of others doing it, so I thought I better ask.
Thanks,
Jim

classicrockgriller

Am doing some hi mountain summer sausage and it's instructions say

you can place stuffed sausages in fridge for curing at least 12 hours,

but no more than 24 hours before smoking.

Habanero Smoker

It should be alright if you keep it under 24 hours. The longer you air dry, the more the casing will dehydrate, which can make them tough and less permeable. If you want to store your sausage for more than one day, you should wrap it or place it in plastic bags until ready to smoke, but to be on the safe side I would smoke/cook within 7 days, or freeze them to be smoked later. If you freeze them make sure you clearly mark with sausage is cured and which are fresh. You don't want to accidentally grab any frozen fresh sausage by mistake.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

lumpy

I stuffed some 32 mm collagen last night and do not have any time to smoke today.
They will go in the smoker first thing tomorrow morning.

pensrock

A tip I do is to layer paper towels between layers of sausage to soak up the excess liquid.