• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Another smoked deer ham

Started by DarqMan, December 03, 2010, 05:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

Last week my boss gave me a ham from a deer his son Sam had killed.  Today was his birthday so I put it on the Traeger last night.  To prepare it, I used Chris's (10.5) brine this time.  I rubbed it down with Salt Lick and put it on last night at 9pm @225 P4.  I checked it at midnight and things looked good.  I woke up at 3am and it was at about 152 IT.  Woke up at 6am and it was at 165, perfect!  Took it off and FTC'd.  Here's what it looked like when we unwrapped it at lunch time.  We also ordered in some Swadley's BBQ to go along with the deer.  I got lots of compliments and enjoyed doing it. Even those who typically aren't big deer eaters enjoyed this. I was a good day and a great lunch.

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

Not normally a deer Ham lover, but it does look and sound good!

FLBentRider

Deer Ham,

You look delicious!

;D ::)
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

DarqMan

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

SL2010

that looks soooooooo good i bet that rub gave a real good bite to it

DarqMan

Quote from: SL2010 on December 03, 2010, 05:24:17 PM
that looks soooooooo good i bet that rub gave a real good bite to it

Yes, I warned everyone that the outer bark had some kick. I sliced it as thin as possible, the outer pieces had more bark than others. 

SL2010

I used the salt licks rub on my very first rack of ribs with BDS and they were great i would like to try on some bambi

DarqMan

Quote from: SL2010 on December 03, 2010, 05:30:06 PM
I used the salt licks rub on my very first rack of ribs with BDS and they were great i would like to try on some bambi

Deer and Salt Lick go together well. 

I noticed this one had a deeper smoke ring than the one I did a couple weeks ago.  I don't know if that has anything to do with the brining process or what?

squirtthecat

Indy Smoker

I made 2 of these over the past 3 weeks.  Both turned out excellent.  Placed some on the slicer for sammies and cut some in cubes for bean/ham soup.  Everyone that tried it was impressed. 

Tenpoint5

Sorry I missed this That looks great Darqman. How did the salt work out? Did it suck in as much salt as mine did and get the chipped beef taste?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

DarqMan

Chris, the salt wasn't overwhelming but it was only in the brine a little less than two days.  I'd liked to have gone longer, but I had to wait on the dextrose powder to arrive from Amazon.  Everyone commented how much better this one was than the first one where I didn't use the brine, so it was a success.   I'll definitely do the next one a day or two longer. Thanks for the help and tips on doing this, it's been great fun!