• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

boston butt help

Started by karwashking07, December 18, 2010, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karwashking07

I have about 5 butts that are about 8 lbs each. I've only smoked ribs with my machine. It's the Origional Bradley smoker. Any advice from experienced users? Can I cook more than 2 at once? Ideal temp?  Do I need to wrap them in foil? Do  they need to be pre cooked for any amount of time in the oven prior to smoking?Cook time? What flavor bisquettes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wkahler

Hey welcome to the board.  There will be someone with crazy knowledge to come along soon to give you words of wisdom.  I did 3 at the same time in my Traeger, not like the Bradely but i can give you a little advice!! I put mine on fresh out of the rub, then once they reach the IT (Internal Temp) desired i pulled them and then FTC (Foil, Towel, Cooler) method on them for about 30-45mins to let it finish off.  I think i pulled them around 160 or 180, don't remember its been a while since i have done them.  I used Hickory to smoke them and then did a nice rub on the outside prior to putting in the smoker.  Hang in there and someone will be along to help just keep checking in.  
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

GusRobin

This is what I do.Night before apply rub and anything else you want to do to the meat. wrap in saran wrap in saran wrap or similar and put in fridge overnight. Next day take out and let get to room  temp more or less (not overly important) Open vent. Fill water pan with hot water. Pre-heat the OBS and smoke generator. Pre-heat to about 250*.
Put in the butts and set the temp to 230*. Apply 4 hrs of hickory (or your wood of choice). After smoke is done, change out water pan with new hot water. Make sure V tray drain is not plugged. Rotate racks. Close door, relax and have a few beverages of choice.
Every few hours you can rotate racks if you choose. But remember that the more the door is open the longer it will take.
Cook until IT reaches 190-195*. It may appear to climb fast and you will think your timing is shot. But you will hit a stall somewhere near 160* where the temp won't move or even drop a bit. It could last 3-4 hours. Don't panic and raise the temp. If you must do something open a beer. When it reaches 190-195* take it out, wrap in foil, wrap in old towel (ask mama for the right one to use - saves a lot of discussion later), put in a cooler for 1-3 hours  (FTC). Wrap each butt separate. If you don't have a cooler you can put in the microwave (don't turn it on).

Timing - it will be done when it is done. I have had 2 8lbs take 20 hours, some times 16. Each one may be done at different times. Depends how stubborn the butt is. That is why FTC is your friend. You can shorten or lengthen the time as needed.

ANyway - that is how I do mine.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

wkahler

Thats the temp i was looking for in my post 190-195 LOL!!  Glade you mentioned the stall time, forgot that major detail!!
Quote from: GusRobin on December 18, 2010, 11:03:10 AM
This is wha I do.Night before apply rub and anything else you want to do to the meat. wrap in saran wrap in saran wrap or similar and put in fridge overnight. Nex day take out and let get to room  temp more or less (not overly important) Open vent. Fill water pan with hot water. Pre-heat the OBS and smoke generator. Pre-heat to about 250*.
Put in the butts and set the temp to 230*. Apply 4 hrs of hickory (or your wood of choice). After smoke is done, change out water pan with new hot water. Make sure V tray drain is not plugged. Rotate racks. Close door, relax and have a few beverages of choice.
Every few hours you can rotate racks if you choose. But remember that the more the door is open the longer it will take.
Cook until IT reaches 190-195*. It may appear to climb fast and you will think your timing is shot. But you will hit a stall somewhere near 160* where the temp won't move or even drop a bit. It could last 3-4 hours. Don't panic and raise the temp. If you must do something open a beer. When it reaches 190-195* take it out, wrap in foil, wrap in old towel (ask mama for the right one to use - saves a lot of discussion later), put in a cooler for 1-3 hours  (FTC). Wrap each butt separate. If you don't have a cooler you can put in the microwave (don't turn it on).

Timing - it will be done when it is done. I have had 2 8lbs take 20 hours, some times 16. Each one may be done at different times. Depends how stubborn the butt is. That is why FTC is your friend. You can shorten or lengthen the time as needed.

ANyway - that is how I do mine.
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

DTAggie

Welcome Gus has you covered.  You can do as many as you can stick in your cabinet at one time.  Last weekend I did two butts (13 lbs) and a 10 lb brisket at once in my 4 rack OBS and it took about 26 to 28 hours to get all three done.

classicrockgriller

4 butts is about max load for the 4 rack.

But you could do the smoke on some and stick in the oven while you

do the others in the bradley.

If you do that, I would smoke 3 and go to the oven and then smoke/cook two in the Bradley.

watchdog56

I agree with Gus, Do it that way and it will turn out great.