Please help with my first bacon cure.

Started by Virginiasmoke, December 14, 2010, 05:39:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virginiasmoke

I picked up 4 lbs of pork belly today.
I plan on using this recipe.
My plan is to cure as described, cold smoke for the 4-6 hrs suggested then either cook in my oven to an IT of 150 or just refrigerate without cooking and just fry as needed.

My questions are these:
Is it NOT necessary to use a nitrite product if the food will be refrigerated and cooked in a short period of time?
What about the 4-6 hours in the 40-140 zone... is that a problem without nitrite?
I like this recipe also. Can I just use the amount of salt prescribed in the first recipe and the flavorings of the second recipe?

watchdog56

I have never done cold smoke bacon so not much help there. I have made regular bacon quite a few times but I use this recipe. One note,for the salt I use KOSHER SALT and usually leave in vac bag for 7 days turning every day.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?542-Maple-Cured-Bacon

wkahler

watchdog56- I sent you a e-mail in regards to your link!!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

wkahler

Does anyone know if i can do this in my Trager??  Was only wondering because the lowest setting i can get is the smoke setting that varies on the temp from 160-180 sometimes.  I don't know if is that major of a deal since you turn the temp up to get the IT to 150, but not sure since i have never done bacon before.  sounds kind of simply so i thought I'd stop by the butcher and grab me a belly if this is able to be done in my Traeger!!

Quote from: watchdog56 on December 14, 2010, 06:57:22 PM
I have never done cold smoke bacon so not much help there. I have made regular bacon quite a few times but I use this recipe. One note,for the salt I use KOSHER SALT and usually leave in vac bag for 7 days turning every day.

squirtthecat

Quote from: wkahler on December 16, 2010, 03:32:42 PM
Does anyone know if i can do this in my Trager??  Was only wondering because the lowest setting i can get is the smoke setting that varies on the temp from 160-180 sometimes.  I don't know if is that major of a deal since you turn the temp up to get the IT to 150, but not sure since i have never done bacon before.  sounds kind of simply so i thought I'd stop by the butcher and grab me a belly if this is able to be done in my Traeger!!

Quote from: watchdog56 on December 14, 2010, 06:57:22 PM

I'm going to be doing a belly bacon in one of my pellet pits this weekend...    Run it on 'smoke' for an hour or so, then up to 200° until the IT hits 150°.

wkahler

Ok sounds good to me!!  I thought it was able to be done but wanted to make sure before i was going to make the attempt!!

wkahler

Are you going to place it directly on the rack of the smoker or hold it up?  I was going to set it up on some smoker racks to keep it from direct heat on the grill.

[/quote]I'm going to be doing a belly bacon in one of my pellet pits this weekend...    Run it on 'smoke' for an hour or so, then up to 200° until the IT hits 150°.[/quote]

Tenpoint5

At a smoking temp of 160-180º I would just let it ride at them temps until you get to the desired IT. For more smoke flavor I would keep the meat away from the heat source as far as possible, or move it closer to heat faster with less smoke time. The ham will have a gelatinous appearance when you pull it out of the smoker. Just wrap in plastic wrap and over night it in the fridge and slice the next day and everything should look right.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!