• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Beef Jerky, hawaiian Style-Maui

Started by RAF128, October 28, 2010, 12:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I don't know if I've posted this before or not but I thought I would in case I didn't.   It's quite tasty actually.

3 lb beef (venision can be substituted)
5 ts Salt
5 ts ground ginger
1½ ts black pepper
5 tb Brown sugar
1 ts Cayenne pepper
1½ cup unsweetened pinapple juice
1½ cup Soy Sauce
6 cloves if garlic

Crush garlic cloves before putting in marinade.   Mix all ingredients in a blender.  Cut meat in ¼" strips.  Place meat in marinade and let stand in Brine for 10 -16 hrs.
This can be smoked in a smoker or dried in an oven at 140º or lowest setting.   Takes 10 hrs in the oven.
I've never done it in an oven but the friend who gave it to me did it that way(he didn't own a smoker)
I used to do it in a dehydrator and would add a little (foregive me ;))liquid smoke.   This is quite spicy so you could cut back on the cayenne or if you're so inclined
add more cayenne.

JF7FSU

Sounds good, but did you forget the cure?
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

ArnieM

The ingredients look good RAF.  I'll have to give it a try.

My butcher makes beef and pork jerky - in the dehydrator, no smoke or cure.  Good stuff.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

NePaSmoKer

Sailor

Not adding any cure?  I think I will try some but wondering if a guy should add cure to it. 

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

JF7FSU

Seems to me if you cook it slow and low you need cure because of bacteria.  Some of the guys cook it on higher heat and maybe that is why they skip it.   I'm not sure how the shelf life is affected by a lack of cure, but it must somehow.  I figure I play it safe and skip the botulism episode ;D
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

RAF128

IMO you don't need cure.    There's salt, which is a cure and lots of soy sauce which is loaded with salt.    Years ago before anyone dreamt up #1 cure or what ever name it goes by all things were cured with salt, that's all there was.

johnk5555

Did you apply smoke or just use heat in the smoker?

RAF128

As the recipe says, you can do it in your oven.   I never have but have tasted some made by the guy who gave me the recipe.    I've added liquid smoke and done it in the dehyrator and done it in the smoker with smoke.