• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Door thermometer ?

Started by mitchf350, December 15, 2010, 11:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mitchf350

Im wondering if the door thermometor reads low? I just picked up a new maverick et-72 (remote system) the door seems to read 20* lower than the maverick.

SoCalBuilder

Yeah, the door thermometers seem to be notorious for their inaccuracy, however mine seems to be spot on. Obviously, the placement of the probe on the Maverick will make a difference too. The back of the box gets hotter because of the location of the heater, hence the rotation of the racks that a lot of people do during a session. Most opt to hang the box probe just below the lowest rack, near the door.

mitchf350

Good to know. My probe is hanging next to the door thermometer. (I'm seasoning my replacement smoker) So i figured i would test how accurate the door was. Why under the lowest wrack next to the door? wouldn't that be pretty hot there? Or does the deflector block the direct heat from the element?

SoCalBuilder

I haven't really played with it, but I suspect that near the door and down low, but above the v-tray, may be the coolest spot in the box. Heat rises, so it makes sense that the back would be hotter and the top would accumulate heat? I don't think the puck heater generates enough heat to balance things out much. Some folks here wrap foil around a portion of the back of the v-tray to force the heat forward, while others have installed fans to make it into a little convection oven. Hang around and you'll see all kinds of innovations.

TestRocket

Hello mitchf350,

Yea! My door thermometer is also reading about 20 degs low and it's a common thing. I see you have the ET-72. Try hanging the probe below the lowest rack of meat next time to get a better idea of the cooking temp as compared to the door thermometer! Good Luck!  ;D

JustusIV

Smoking right now with my maverick clipped on my lowest rack close to the door. Its reading 20 degrees hotter then my door one.

TestRocket

Sounds about normal! I tend to want to know the temp just below what I'm cooking and not on the door, and I have checked my Maverick probes so I believe them and that is what I go by.

So whatcha smoking?   ;D