• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Element bad?

Started by RFT, December 12, 2010, 02:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RFT on December 16, 2010, 07:55:43 PM
Element didn't show up today :(.  When I called them at 805am on Monday morning they said "it should be here no problem towards the end of the week."  I sure hope so cause I am supposed to be smoking Salmon and Jerky for Christmas and if I can't do it this weekend  I aint gonna be able to get to it.

I'm sure it will arrive on time. Shipments may be running a little slow do to the increase amount of packages this time of year.

Just in case it does get held up, you can still use your smoke generator, and if you have a single burner hot plate that will give you enough heat  to dry your jerky. If you use the hot plate, you will need to remove the smoking generator after you have applied the smoke, and make sure your cabinet is unplugged. Remove the drip bowl and place the hot plate at the bottom of the smoker; if the hot plate is thick or has long legs you may have to remove the V pan (drip tray). Run the wire through the hole for the generator. Next you will need to block the rest of the hole to prevent too much heat loss. You can just tape aluminum foil on the outside to block the hole, then put a few holes in the foil for some ventilation. Monitor the heat closely, you don't want to heat to get too high, or if you have a PID, the PID will control the hot plate. You shouldn't have any problems with drippings from the jerky, but I would place a pan on top of the hot plate; just in case.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RFT

Thanks Hab for the tips.  I don't have a hot plate.  

IT's  4:45 and mail is running late as I am sure with Christmas the carriers are earning there pay.  If element does not show up tonight there is always tomorrow ;D  I figure I will smoke Jerky in the smoker and then finish in the oven.  I had better get to curing the meat.  I was gonna do it last night but with the element not here yet I was kind of up in the air about what I was going to do.

Wait,,, I hear the mail truck.............nope. just the neighbor. >:(

Friggin USPS........ No one on our block got mail today........ So much for "through rain, sleet or snow. >:( >:(
"Some world views are spacious and some are merely spaced."
N.P.

Habanero Smoker

I was looking for Brian's post on how to install the element. I couldn't find the original post, but I had copied that information to post recipe site.

Hopefully this instructions will save you a few minutes. If it is cold out and you don't have a heated garage or shed, it is best to bring the smoker in the house and find a warm area to work in. The nuts, and washers are small and almost impossible to handle when you hands are cold. You don't want to be dropping  and loosing them.

Replacing the heat element is a fairly easy task.

Start by UNPLUGING THE SMOKER FROM THE WALL OUTLET
Open the smoker door and remove the four Phillip's head screws (two in each side of the white porcelain insulators)

Take a good look as to how the wire guard and reflector are installed and remove them.

Gently pull the heat element out slightly about 1 inch or so (don't pull to far or you will pull the wires off the plug in the rear of the tower)

Remove the nut on each end of the heat element and remove the element.

Reinstall as above.

BE CAREFULL WHEN TIGHTENING THE SCREWS ON THE INSULATORS THEY ONLY NEED TO BE SNUG.
If your new element does not work double check that you didn't pull a wire of the back plug.

Brian.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

RFT

Thanks HAB for the instructions.   Element came today ;D and just got done installing it.  Temp is 30 Degree's here and cab temp with out the smoke generator on went to 240 no problem. Also recovers a lot faster to. Before in the same conditions I was lucky to see 200 with the smoke generator on. 

N.P.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

stevergs

hope you are back up and smoking,i feel your pain. i have been through 3 elements since buying obs in june. bradley has been very easy to work with but this is frustrating when it quits. mine would go to 100 degrees but as 10.5 stated its the generator. good luck.

RFT

Yep, got it up and running.  BUT, as much as I like the Bradley if I keep having  to replace the element or anything else for that matter I will send it back and not get another.   Maybe they have had some bad elements. It happens and I understand, but should only happen once IMO.  Yes, the  Bradley CS is very, very good. They would have to be to keep the customers that are having problems happy.  Bottom line for me is if it keeps having problems then Bradley has some issues to deal with.   Word of mouth reviews do go a long way.  I know two guys right now looking at getting smokers but are now leery after learning of my element going bad after 2 smokes.

I really hope no other problems arise cause I like this smoker.
N.P.

cbptls

Hi,

this is my first time posting here.  I have planned to smoke brisket for our Christmas party and guess what, after 1 hour temperature reached only 100 degrees so I am assuming that element is bad.  This would have been only 4th smoke since I got this smoker couple of months ago   :'( 

GusRobin

couple of things. Make sure all the plugs are in tight. Unplug and replug and see what happens. Make sure the outlet is working.

Worse comes to worse if your generator is working you can apply some smoke and finish it in the oven at 225 or whatever emp you were going to cook. May take a little longer since you are starting out low in the Bradley but the end result shouldn't differ too much. After all, when you are done smoking the Bradley is just an oven.  Good luck
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RFT

hi,  Sorry to hear that.

Bypass the smoker and plug cabinet straight into an outlet all by itself.  If your element does not heat up then It is your element gone bad.
N.P.

cbptls

Thanks guys.  I have tried direct plug, checked all connections, all lights are up but still no go. Brisket went to oven so I hope it will come out good enough. Hopefully replacement element will last longer than 3 smokes ;)

Cleaver

Lost my 2nd new element last night.  this one made 10 hrs of smoking. But because of the uncertain relibility of the element, I purchased a extra on to have on hand.  $11 is well worth the effort of the wallet to make sure you get a good smoke and only set back the time a little.  Spoke to Bradley this am (only open till noon).  And 2 more are on the way.  one for warranty and extra one if I ever decide to add the second heater.  Maybe once its off warranty.

Thanks again Bradley, and to you and all your staff.  Have a Merry Christmas!

Anyway gotta run pork butt is up to 180 deg.  time to set up cooler and towels.