• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Looking for something easy for my second smoke

Started by Hunteer, January 07, 2011, 08:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunteer

I would prefer something barbecue but does not have to be. Any suggestions for newbie ?

classicrockgriller

Hunteer

Did spare ribs per Tenpoint5 recipe, turned out good but had to finish in the oven. I think I figured out what I did wrong, did not let them come to room temp. maybe even still partially frozen inside. Then the outlet I was using was free the first few hours but is in a circuit with other items that were being used later in the day that I think caused a voltage drop. Plus in my infinite wisdom I placed the smoker on my breezeway in 25 deg. weather with 10 to 14 mph wind gusts, not called a breezeway for nothing. The other thing I did was try to smoke/barbecue 3 whole section of ribs. The smoker put up a good fight trying to keep the temp. up. I did not have an it temp probe but will for my next smoke. Thought I would try something easier if possible. Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions.

GusRobin

chicken is easy. Just remember to keep the vent wide open
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

mjdeez

I did a pork shoulder my first time, came out awesome, but its a lot of food.  Shortly after that I did two pork shoulders in a weber kettle smoker, plus 4 briskets, and 2 racks of ribs in my DBS, plus a grill full of burgers and a bottle of scotch. That was a good birthday.  I'd gotten my recipes from Stephen Raichlen's BBQU show / website but the recipes here and on susanminor.org are pretty similar.  I'd say go with ribs with a dry rub. Make the rub yourself if you can. I find its more rewarding to make as much from scratch as possible, whether it be bulk from Costco / Sam's club ground spices or whole spices that you grind yourself in a mortar / pestle.  I just found a local place that has crazy cheap (and organic for whatever its worth) whole spices at 1/5 cost of grocery store, and they have much more flavor than your average bottle of spice so that's just my new thing.

My next set of ribs will have Jan's rib rub on them, you can find the recipe here...
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

I'd dry rub them, put em in the fridge overnight, smoke them for about 2.5 hours at 220, then wrap them with foil with some butter n brown sugar and mop sauce, then back to the smoker for another 2.5 hrs (no smoke with foil!). But that's just Raichlen's recipe. There's countless ways to make awesome ribs. I'm getting hungry...

classicrockgriller

With Chicken you will need Cabinet temp up around 230 to 250*.

But things like chicken breast cook fast.

Don't be afraid to add smoke to your favorite store bought pre-cooked meats.

IE: sausage, ham, boudain, etc.

The Bradley just makes it better.

mjdeez

Doh! you did ribs.

How about you buy a brisket and BBQ that? lots of good recipes for bbq brisket.

Your handle, hunteer. If you've got venison, you can cold smoke some backstrap and then grill some venison steak.

Start reading up on cure number 1 and check out the recipes here in the Curing forum, there's a post about venison canadian bacon using the backstrap. I pastramied a venison hind quarter and it came out pretty good, and it was very easy. endless possibilities really.

Hunteer

Yes I hunt, have 1 whitetail hanging now waiting to be butchered. Defiantly want to try some recipes with venison. Might try turkey breasts or Boston butt. Some nice barbecue pork would be good.

classicrockgriller

ABT's, Bacon wrapped chicken breast, pork chops smoked then finished on the grill or skillet,

the list goes on and on.

You can check here for some more Ideas.

recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/

mjdeez

I'm jealous. I may head out with my bow tomorrow morning.  

The butt sounds good. I've been craving the bbq pork... I just bought a side of pig last week so I've got a shoulder at the ready. I'll probably bbq / smoke it up for super bowl.

OU812

Pork loin is quick N easy.

Rub with some EVOO, dump on your favorit rub and smoke for 3 hr, I like Pecan, try to shoot for a cbanet temp of 250 and pull out when the IT hits 145, FTC for atlest an hr and you gots a tender, juicey hunk of pork.

Only takes about 4 hr to cook.