Perfect worry free prime rib

Started by DarqMan, January 05, 2011, 08:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarqMan

A tradition at our house on Christmas day is to put a multi-bone prime rib in a pan, uncovered, salt and peppered without liquid in preheated 375 degree oven for 1 hour.  After exactly one hour turn off the heat and don't let anyone open the door.  We usually do this around noon before we go out to shop or finish last minute errands.  Regardless of the length of time the meat has been in the oven, 30-40 minutes before eating, turn the oven back up to 375.  After 30-40 minutes, and only then, is it time to open the over door and remove the roast.  The meat will be very brown and crispy on the outside and a perfect medium-rare on the inside.  We usually eat anywhere between 6-8pm Christmas night and it has been great every year.

Just thought I'd share this because I've thought about doing this before the holidays roll around again.  It would be a great, trouble free way to entertain and enjoy your guests.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

classicrockgriller

That sounds easy enough.

How big of a PR you doing like this?

DarqMan

Usually 5-6 bones but this method can be done using any size really.  It is easy and delicious
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

Smokin Soon

DQ, you may be on to something there. I was visiting some folks in another harbor when I was living on my boat. Started a nice prime and ran out of propane. Got a ride into town that involved too many bar stops and thought my prime was finished. When I cranked it back up it seemed to develop a nice crust faster than my normal cook. I just pulled it out and it was fantastic!

DarqMan

Smokin Soon, gotta love those extra bar stops!

I'll bet that BuyLowSellHigh can explain why this works, it's like magic.  I just follow the recipe stated and it works every time. 

TestRocket

I'm trying to imagine how good a 5-6 bone rib roast would look like!   ;)

OU812

DQ

Thats very close to the way I do it.

I stab a thermometer in it then put the roast in a cold oven and crank the heat up to 400 F for 1 hr.

Shut the oven off.

Check the temp, its usually around 90 to 100 F then DO NOT open the door and keep checking the temp.

When the temp starts dropping crank the oven up to 375 F and when the temp hits 135 F pull it outta the oven and tent with foil for 20 min.

Gooood stuff.