• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Temperature Problems

Started by Glenmw, December 27, 2010, 10:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenmw

I just got my NEW 6 Rack Digital Smoker this Christmas, and I'm having weird trouble with it. I wanted to smoke some fish, so when I plugged it on and pressed the on button I noticed it said the oven temp is 178F and it's not it was about 15.8F. Why would I get a temp that's sooooo way offff, (and yes the Sensor Cable was plugged in.) With the temp acting that way I couldn't smoke my fish, couldn't get the temp to 120F, because it thinks it's at 178F already!!!!! that's heart breaking.. How do I fix that problem?? Does anyone else have the same problem??

Keymaster

Im sure that you have unplugged it and plugged it back in already in order to try and reset it. I'm not sure what it could be . Someone with more knowledge will be by soon, Just be patient  ;D

Caneyscud

Assuming you have unplugged to reset.  You have to turn the unit on, then hit the Set button, set the temp you want, then hit set again.  Might set it for say 250. see if the element turns on, then set the temp back down to where you want it.

Sorry to hear about your problem.  You may have already checked, but the cords don't always seat too well the first few time.  Make sure they are pushed in all the way.  Additionally, the buttons can be tricky the first few times also - sometimes you might have to use a fingernail to get them pushed properly.

IF any of these help - great.  But if not, others will be along later who might have had the same problem.  Bradley also has a monitoring presence in the form of Brian - his screen name is Bradley (Head Office).  He can definitely help out. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Glenmw

I did unplug it, and plugged it in again, I had everything unplugged, then plugged it in again, nothing helped. Question: I brought the Smoke Generator inside to warm up, now I wondering what the oven temp should read, with no Sensor Cable plugged in? This one reads 99F when I turn it on, is that right?  Where does it get that reading from with no Sensor Cable plugged in? The inside temp is 70F not 99F.

BuyLowSellHigh

If it has no sensor connection, or a dummy bypass like used for cold smoking, it should be sending you an error code and beeping.

It sounds like you have a controller problem in the SG unit.
I like animals, they taste good!

Visit the Recipe site here

Glenmw

Here's the deal, after 5 hour of being inside I turned SG on and got a error code E1 for the first time, so I took it outside and plugged everything in, and I got a oven temp of 32F which is about right, so I unplugged the Sensor Cable and got an error code E1 again, I plugged it back in and the error code went away, that didn't happen before I could unplug it and nothing happened. So is it to's cold for that smoker??? It was only 15.8F this morning?? I can't find the operating temp anywhere, it looks like it above freezing???? I don't know what to do!?!?!?!?

TedEbear

Glen,

In your first post you said the actual outdoor temp was around 15.8*F.  I don't know about the PID controller that comes with the digital Bradley version but my OBS that I am converting over to PID control has a minimum operating temp.  I'm pretty sure that 15 degrees is a bit too low for mine to work properly. Perhaps the sub freezing temp is the root of the trouble.

Tenpoint5

If I remember right the E-1 error code is telling you that you have a connection loose. Either on the back of the cabinet or the back of the Smoke Generator. The cold shouldn't affect your DBS. I have the 4 rack in my garage and it fires right up even in single digit weather.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

LoxMan

I had a very similar problem the first time I used mine.  I called Bradley and they told me to unplug and replug all cables and to make sure the cables were really well pushed into the plugs.  That fixed the problem for me.  I know it sounds kind of a dummy move but I really had to force those things in there before it worked right.  The lady I talked to at Bradley said it is quite normal for that to happen the first few times you use the smoker.  I've had mine now for 3 years and have not had that problem since.