• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ribs, Rub,and a non-working PID- all in a day's work

Started by GusRobin, January 23, 2011, 12:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Thought I would do some ribs. BB's for the wife and beef for me.

I liked the combo of "gunpowder", 5 Star Market red rub, and Cajun Injector hot butter marinade that I had on the ribeyes yesterday so I thought I would try it on the ribs.

Here is the beef. Put the combo on the left side side and only gunpowder on the right.

BBs with the combo rub.

I decided to take the Bradley thermometer off the door. I don't use it and it gets in the way when I have a full load of meat. Here is a pic of the nut, bolt and washer as a plug.

Shortly after I started the ribs, the auber PID went blank. Check the fuses and all were good. So I need to return it again which sucks cause I just had it repaired in the beginning of the month. So I set it up to use the smoker manually. Glad I installed a separate on-off switch for the second element. So I was able to use it to get the cabinetup to temp then shut it off and just used the OBS slider controller.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TestRocket

Hate to hear the bad news about your PID again there Gus but at least it won't put dinner on hold! And it's funny to see that gunpowder rub catch on like it has!  ;D

GusRobin

Yeah, I went to the store this morning for ribs and they were sold out of gunowder. I saw that the red rub was available in what looked like gallon size bags. Next time I'll ask them if they have the gunpowder in the big bags.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

SoCalBuilder

Gus - I'm waiting on the parts for my second element add-on. I wasn't going to add the seperate switch, but now I'm thinking......?
Looking forward to how your beef ribs turn out. It's one of things I haven't tried yet.

GusRobin

The second switch is cheap and easy to do thanks to the detailed instructions that Habs posted. I would definitely recommend it.

Shasta bob

2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

GusRobin

Shasta bob

2 ea. Bradley - OBS
Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Temp Test Intelligent Thermometer
Weber Gensis BBQ
Weber Baby Q
Smoke from thermoworks
Blackstone 4 burner

SouthernSmoked

Sorry to hear about your ongoing problem with the PID.

How did everything turn out? They looked good going in.
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

GusRobin

Ate to fast to take a pic. Beef ribs were great. Pork ribs - had better. I think I should have put more sauce on pork in the last part of 3-2-1. Or maybe ciiked them longer but we were pressed for time. Good news is I'll try again some other time.