Beer Can Chicken

Started by steve-o, January 17, 2011, 10:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve-o

So I finally used my OBS for a meal instead of jerky and smoked salmon and it was a success! I brined it for 7 hrs and then rubbed on spices. I smoked it (apple) for 2 hrs and it stayed in the smoker for approx 3 1/2 hrs total. I took it out at 165.

That was at the 2 hr mark

That is it done

MMMMMMM moist

OU812

That chicken just sent me over the top!

I haven ate lunch yet.  ;D

Looks GREAT!

TestRocket

That's the way there supposed to look like. You did good!  ;D

Caneyscud

That is one delicious looking and well-built chicken.  Congrats.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

SoCalBuilder

That's a nice looking bird! 3 1/2 hours total? I've never gotten one done that quick. Now that I've said that, I always do two at a time and spatchcock them. I suppose the other bird accounts for the extra time, but it's almost double your time for one ???

I have the parts ordered for the 2nd element.

thirtydaZe

since it was in the bradley i'll let you slide on the sacrificed budweiser...

DBS 6 Rack
Auber PID 1202 Dual Probe
Yoder Cheyenne 16

steve-o

Quote from: SoCalBuilder on January 17, 2011, 11:49:19 AM
That's a nice looking bird! 3 1/2 hours total? I've never gotten one done that quick. Now that I've said that, I always do two at a time and spatchcock them. I suppose the other bird accounts for the extra time, but it's almost double your time for one ???

I have the parts ordered for the 2nd element.

I dont have a 2nd element in mine, I just had it as hot as it would go with my vent almost fully opened. I don't know from experience but I thought I have read that brining can speed up cooking times. I also warmed up the beer and put hot water in my bowl, and when i changed water after 2 hours I put in hot water again. I don't know if that affected anything but I read somewhere on here that it may help. I also took my chicken outta the fridge a bit before throwing it in too which may have helped.

SoCalBuilder

I've never heard the one about brining making it cook faster. I do basically what you do, with the hot water and the vent fully open. I do have the OBS in an enclosure with about 3 feet of vent on it with a fancy vent cap sticking thorugh the roof. I wonder sometimes whether the vent is drawing heat out faster than it would just naturally leave the smoker.

steve-o

Yeah I could be making that up about brining affecting times, I spent many hours looking through these forums the last couple days and my brain absorbed boatloads of information. I thought I had read that but I could be mistaken.

Can you explain to me what 'spatchcock' means?

SoCalBuilder

Spatchcock is a fancy name for butterflying a chicken. If you google it, you'll get quite a history lesson. Basically you just cut what would be the backbone or spine out of the bird and then flatten him out, with the cavity down. It is supposed to cook faster, which makes sense and it's just fun to say ;D ;D

smoker pete

Quote from: steve-o on January 17, 2011, 02:03:51 PM
Can you explain to me what 'spatchcock' means?

Here's a nice link that has a pictorial on how to spatchcock a chicken.  It's what SoCal said but with photos  :)

http://www.cookthink.com/reference/4162/How_to_spatchcock_a_chicken

By the way ... Great looking Yard Bird !!!!

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

muebe

Nice beer can chicken! Hope that Budweiser did not sour it too much :D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

DADAKOTA

Good lookin chicken.  Have not done one in the OBS yet.  Always used my weber with 1/2 chiimney of coals on each side of the grill.  Indirect 1.5 hours.  Never had a bad bird and all have been extremely moist without brining.  Here is the rub I use.

Beer Can Chicken Rub

3 Tablespoons   Kosher Salt
2 Tablespoons   Sugar
1 Tablespoons   Brown Sugar
2 Teaspoons      Celery Seed
2 Teaspoons      Paprika
2 Teaspoons      Garlic Powder
1 Teaspoon       Cayenne Pepper
1 Teaspoon       Onion Powder
½ Teaspoon      Chili Powder
¼ Teaspoon      Ground Cumin
2 Teaspoons     Black Pepper

Combine ingredients in a glass bowl.  Mix thoroughly.  Rub this on the chicken and also in the cavity.  Put chicken on plate and cover with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate at least two hours.  Keep excess rub in a ziplock bag.  Should be enough rub for two chickens.   

LoxMan

I've got the same thing in mine now, love the way yours looks.  Today is a great day, smokin in the fromt and brewin beer in the back!!!!!

jiggerjams

I always drink the beer and add an alternative flavor liquid like Five Alive Tropical Juice.  ;D

That rub sounds delish. The chicken looks fantastic!!