• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Dehydrator

Started by JF7FSU, February 18, 2011, 07:38:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF7FSU

Got the Cabelas digital in today.  I whipped up a few pounds 93/7 GB and Neco seasoning and made a few trays of GB jerky.  About half the trays are full, I alternated them.  I set the temp to 155 (max) and 5 hours.   Are these good numbers?  I am going to leave it and go to sleep.
Posted via Tapatalk - iPhone

FLBentRider

It depends on how thick it is.

5 hours for 1/8 inch slices, 12 hours for nuggets.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JF7FSU

Used a jerky gun, pretty thin strips I would say 1/8-1/4" thick by 1/2" strip.   I will try the 5 hours @ 150 and see what it looks like in the morning.  Thanks!

bundy

Let us know how it turns out JF, I will be trying me new Cabela's 10 tray, dig. today with whole meat.

JF7FSU

I have to say a big disappointment.   I used two neco garlic and pepper packets and dehydrated for 5 hours @ 150.  I went to sleep.  The jerky was on the overcooked end of the spectrum  but not inedible.    I did not like the flavor at all.   I am used to Big John's soy ginger jerky recipe with whole muscle meat and this was very mild.  I also did not smoke it first and added a little liquid smoke which did almost nothing.  I also did not add any water which may have been a problem.

New plan:  try another flavor!  add some water and try 4 hours instead of 5.  I am using a Weston Jerky gun and the strips are pretty thin by my eye.   

Not a great experience for first dehydrated GB Jerky experience.  Bah.

KyNola

Sorry to hear your first run with your new dehydrator didn't come out like you wanted it to.  Next time, try taking about 1/4-1/2 cup of water and dissolve your cure/seasoning in it and then add that to your ground meat.  It will help in distributing the flavor and cure ingredients throughout the meat.

JF7FSU

Thanks KyNoLa.  I made several mistakes.  First I thought the Neco seasoning/cure needed to be used immediately and didn't wait after mixing.  I should have known better and waited.  I added a little liquid smoke, no water - not good.  I think because I didn't wait the flavor was not evenly distributed. Finally, I think I cooked it too long.   I used a Weston Jerky gun, and the single tip made IMO a small thin strip.  It came with a double nozzle I probably should have used.

So, Round #2.   I used Cabelas's Hickory, water, and let rest 8 hours.  The meat had a totally different look, feel, and texture.  I used the double nozzle, which surprisingly, didn't lay two strips, but one nice big thick one.   I threw it in the dehydrator about an hour ago and  awaiting the results. 

KyNola

Looking forward to this one.

JF7FSU

Much better results :)  Still missing the smoke, kinda plain to me after smoked muscle meat.  I guess I need some stronger flavors for GB and need to smoke it.  Guess I am spoiled, but at least not crazy! 

pikeman_95

I make large batches of ground venison jerky. I would think without some time in the smoker they just would not be the same. I start with them on stainless sheets in the smoker. I place the new sheets closes to the heat and as soon as they jell I slip them off onto screens. they get a quick heavy smoke [probably 2 hrs.]then head for the dehydrator. I can do a continues process this way. One sheet going in and one coming out and heading for the dehydrator. There you can keep a good eye on the drying speed. Keep the temp low on the dehydrator so things don't get too dry.

JF7FSU

Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 20, 2011, 08:01:42 AM
I make large batches of ground venison jerky. I would think without some time in the smoker they just would not be the same. I start with them on stainless sheets in the smoker. I place the new sheets closes to the heat and as soon as they jell I slip them off onto screens. they get a quick heavy smoke [probably 2 hrs.]then head for the dehydrator. I can do a continues process this way. One sheet going in and one coming out and heading for the dehydrator. There you can keep a good eye on the drying speed. Keep the temp low on the dehydrator so things don't get too dry.

What temp do you recommend?  I was doing 145 for about 4 hours?

pikeman_95

I have reached my IT in the smoker so I do not need to do it in the dehydrator. I would use a lower temperature the 140. It might dry to quick. The point of drying a little slower is to let the moisture come out evenly. drying too fast will cause the thinner material to become too dry. My goal is to have all of each stick to be the same. I shoot for a leathery texture that bends but does not snap. When you have ground burger with fat mixed in you do not quite get the same affect. The fat tends to keep the meat fibers from binding and getting the favorable affect. If I were using something other then wild meat I would choose cheap cuts and trim the fat all off then grind the meat and make your jerky. I like ground better then full muscle because I can control the spicing precisely like I want.

kc