• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

What wood for deer jerky?

Started by SmokinDuramax, March 01, 2011, 04:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmokinDuramax

Just what it says? Help please!

Tenpoint5

Let's see there is 9 different flavors so you are gonna get 9 different answers. It all depends on what it is that YOU like. I myself am partial to Hickory for game meats, but then I am partial to Hickory with every meat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

cobra6223

just since I've been doing this which is just a few months , tried several different woods , the family always request the hickory , haven't found any thing yet that didn't taste good with it .

OU812

I smoke deer every now and then ::) and I like Pecan my self.

Try them all and decide what YOU like.

Habanero Smoker

I agree that you should experiment. In order to help you make a decision the following link may be useful.
Bisquettes & Wood Flavors

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Like OU

Pecan, Hickory, Oak or even Alder

SmokinDuramax

Thanks alot! And thanks for the link!

RAF128

Only jerky I make is from deer meat.    I usually use hickory but have used maple and it was nice too.    Don't think any are bad.   

howlin

i like the fruitwoods (apple or cherry )with a touch of hickory or crown royal(r.i.p)
if cows didn't taste so good ,they would be extinct

DTAggie

Sounds like you better you have a lot of deer to try all the woods that have been suggested  ;D

Indy Smoker

Hickory - Hickory - Hickory

But you can't go wrong with any.  Don't be afraid to try something different on a seperate batch.  Your taste may be different and you may find you like a different wood

IS