• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Poor man's PID

Started by smokinjim, March 12, 2011, 05:01:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinjim

I used a controller and temp. sensor from an electric wall oven to control cabinet temps. I bypassed and remove the original "slider" circuit board. Temp sensor is located on right side of the cabinet, just below the second rack slide(comes in from the back). Probably not as accurate as a PID, But this setup works great!

controller, closeup

controller

backside wiring

cough cough

let's eat!

3rensho

Hey, that's great.  Good thinkin' and those ribs look mighty tasty.  BTW, is that the obligatory adult beverage next to the smoker in the second photo?  Cooking IS thirsty work.  I know from experience.  ;D
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

smokinjim

Thanks 3rensho, good catch on the beverage, Me likes a little now and then...

MidKnightRider

Interesting.
Something to think about.
"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

squirtthecat

That's cool..

Care to share the wiring details?

Quarlow

Very innovative. I like to indulge now and then and often also.   :D:D :D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

muebe

Very creative! Was that oven control one with a meat probe?
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mow_delon

that is definately a creative idea.  My biggest question is if that is an oven control, can it be set below 170 degrees?

smokinjim

The yellow wire in front is a probe for a digital thermometer, the yellow cable in the back is for the temp. sensor. I will be glad to share the wiring diagrams...later, I just bought a house and am in the process of moving. when I get settled, I will post the details, Jim

smokinjim

temp range is 170-550 F, temp can also be compensated + or - 35 degrees in 5 degree increments, so theoretically, the temp could be set as low as 135 F.

beefmann

mow_delon

How do you + or - 35 degrees?  Just wondering because I have a matag oven digital controller that I would like to try this with if you get it to work.

smokinjim

1.Press BAKE
2.Select a temperature of 550
3.Quickly (within 5-seconds of setting 550) press and hold the BAKE button approximately 5-15‡ seconds until "00" or the previously entered temperature adjustment is displayed.

‡Pressing longer could cause an F0, F1 or F7 error to be displayed.

4.Press the UP/DOWN arrow button  to change the oven temperature in 5° increments to a maximum of +/- 35°
5.Press the CLEAR or OFF button to return to normal operation.

garbadee

Good idea but what I want to know is how you got those ribs looking so good.  I just haven't had any luck doing ribs yet.

Ed

Tenpoint5

Quote from: garbadee on March 20, 2011, 06:10:14 AM
Good idea but what I want to know is how you got those ribs looking so good.  I just haven't had any luck doing ribs yet.

Ed

Ed,

Give this a try. It should get you in the ballpark then you can expand and experiment from there. http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=10182.0
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!