• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked SALT?!!!!

Started by SoupGuy, September 10, 2005, 05:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Blimey SoupNazi, thats what I call a labour of love!!

Certainly the smoked salt I have made is discernable in the recipes I have used it on.

One of the simplest and best I've done is to just baste a whole chicken with some melted butter and rub in some smoked salt prior to roasting... ended up with a nice subtle flavour that even my two young lads commented on. (positively!)

Manxman.
Manxman

SoupGuy

I won't soon be smoking salt again! What a pain is the arse!

The turkey I cooked after rubbing with smoked salt (and other spices) was OK... nothing great.

My next experiment (in the frige now) is Italian Sausage using the smoked salt rather than plain kosher. I've never smoked italian sausage before, nor do I think I would, but heck... its just an experiement!

Then I got to thinking... in North Africa, do they have hickory trees? I doubt it. I took a ferry from Gibralter (I think thats Portugal) to Tanjiers Africa (excude the spelling, it was a LONG time ago) and the only trees I remember seeing were more like shrubs with thick glossy leaves.

I will probably give up on the smoked salt just like I gave up with 'liquid smoke' (YUK!!!!)

... I just wonder however... if I put some salt in say cheesecloth, and hung it in my smoker for a month or so (I smoke stuff 3 or 4 times a week) maybe that would work?  

Never mind....

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...

manxman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I took a ferry from Gibralter (I think thats Portugal) <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Just for information, Gibralter is actually part of the UK although it is attached to Spain, much to the annoyance of the Spanish who believe it should be belong to them!But that;s another story!![}:)]

I have found cold smoking salt for a few hours spread thinly on grease proof paper works a treat as I have posted previously. One guy I gave some to was told off by his wife because it stank the kitchen out when he forgot to put the top back on after he had used it so it was certainly potent enough after around 4 - 5 hours in the BS.

Certainly would not go to the lengths you went to SoupNazi, as you rightly said...... just not worth the effort!

Manxman.
Manxman

SoupGuy

AGREED!

I thought Gibralter was in Portugal. All I know is that it is on the North side (the ROCK OF that is) of the opening to the Med. Tangiers (spelling?) is on the south side within reach of a few ferry's to take one across.

The dolphins used to guide our ship through the straights... really cool!

Best know not for soup, but rather smoked meats...