• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

lower fat hotdogs

Started by don24, March 26, 2011, 07:14:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

don24

i know i know fat is flavor and juiceness.but ive got to keep the peace and attempt a low fat dog so let me know if this makes sense to you.my plan is to make one batch of immusified meat mix and add fat in stages to ensure that the spice mixture among testers dogs will be the same to each other, i will start with what i believe to be way to low in fat say 15%  fat to 85% lean and make a few dogs add fat make a few dogs and so on.the real problem is going to be uping fat after ive immulsified meat already. can i use creamed lard thats already soft and creamy or will it not work.if someone already has a good low fat answer i will listen

Mr Walleye

Hi Don

Hot dogs are one item I have never made before so I won't be much help for you.

I'm interested in seeing the responses though.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Don

You can use lean beef like 90/10 and have low fat dogs.

Stay away from adding lard as it is rendered from the cattle with heat and can impart the taste of your dogs. Some of the sausage store online have whats called fat replacer.

pikeman_95

Don
First if you are using beef I would buy beef cuts that I could trim all the fat off of. It is this hard beef fat that you want to eliminate if you are on a reduced fat diet. If you are using wild meat so much the better. I have tried to make a much reduced fat dog and they are tuff and not very desirable. Trim all the hard fat and use trimmed pork shoulder meat to replace the hard fat. I use Costco trimmed Pork shoulder to accomplish this. I use a 50/50 blend. A typical batch of frankfurters is 15 pounds well-trimmed wild meat and 15 pounds of trimmed pork shoulder. They are tender and tasty and lean.

don24

so the soft pork with its tender flesh will immulsafy giving the dogs a good tender tasty feel and reduce fat content and bring porky goodness.i also noticed some mustard in your dogs care to share a recipe

pikeman_95

I copied this off an older post that I made. My wife and myself just had a couple of franks and kraut for lunch and they are great.
I would like to take full credit for the recipe but I can't. We use High Country German frankfurter mix [google it] In Lincoln MT.  
Do not trim the pork fat off of the pork shoulders form Costco. They already have been trimmed and you need some pork fat in your sausage. This sausage is much more lean then most sausage made commercially.
Stuff in natural hog casings.

To this mix we add

2 cups mustard seed
2 cups brown sugar
1/4-1/2 cups cracked black pepper  [med or kind of hot]
1/3 cup of minced garlic or more to taste.
this is for a 30 pound batch 15 pounds wild meat and 15 pork shoulder [Costco]
We heavy smoke for 1.5 hours and then finish in a hot water bath. 160 F water 155 F core temp.
Franks are very juicy and tender
These franks are great boiled in a batch of sauerkraut or no the grill.