cold outside- smoking a 13 pound turkey then oven

Started by dumoch126, February 05, 2011, 04:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dumoch126

I live in Ct where it has been rather cold. Will prob only get the smoker up to about 205. Brined....
If I smoke it for about 4 hours and try to get IT to 145, how long will I need in the oven at 350 so I can time it out for supe bowl.?
also is it realistiv that in 4 hours at 200-205 I can get it to 145ish?

Help, its cold out there!

GusRobin

I did a 12 lb turkey at 225 and it took 7 hrs in the Bradley
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

dumoch126

due to the cold weather, wont get to 225, so need to smoke and oven... lookin for suggestions. thanks

Ka Honu

I rarely put more than 2-3 hours of smoke on a turkey using a Bradley.  At that point (regardless of the IT), I'd either move it to the oven or finish it in TBE/SRG.  Rough guess (and it's only a guess) is that you'd need another 2-2½ hours in the oven (and you can fudge it a bit one way or the other by adjusting oven temp as necessary).

Habanero Smoker

Today you should be having temperature in the mid 30°F's. I agree; apply 2 to 3 hours of smoke at the highest temperature you can get the Bradley. Then I would move it directly to the oven and finish cooking as you would normally roast a turkey in the oven. I would guess this method would add 1 - 2 hours of extra time (depending on how much smoke is applied), over roasting it fully in the oven, but again that is also a guess.

If the turkey gets done early I don't recommend FTC'ing a turkey, the skin will get soggy. If you are done early, and don't need the oven space you can keep the turkey warm in the oven. Set the oven at 150°F; if your oven doesn't have that low of a setting then set it at the lowest setting your oven has. Rub the turkey generously with butter, loosely tent the turkey with foil, and place it in the oven; reapply butter every 30-45 minutes. I have used this method for up to 90 minutes, but note I take my turkey up to 165°F, measured at the thigh.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

umbrellalady

The first chicken I smoked I did it when it was under -20C - to get it up to temperature I wrapped up my smoker and it didn't take long for it to get up there.

smokey dog

I live in Manitoba and installed an extra element just above the orginal element on a separate cord so I can plug it in when the weather is cold to get the bradley up to temperature. Also I have installed an additional temperature probe though the wall of the bradley because I found the digital read out and the actual temperature can vary more than 20 degrees

umbrellalady

Smokey Dog - I live in Manitoba as well and really like the idea of an extra element - what kind of element did you use?