• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

finally got my new stuffer broke in.

Started by grnhs, March 28, 2011, 08:41:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grnhs

I've had this 13+ lb pork butt from costco in the freezer so I dug around and found some packages of elk and deer and even a beef flank steak.

So I thought Summer sausage would be a good start.

that 2 speed 11 lb stuffer from cabellas really worked nice

into the smoker for the ramp up and 4 hours of smoke

Oh yea, AFTER I had them stuffed I found out they were too long to hang in the 4 rack.
I suppose I am the first to ever do that!

12 hours later we hit the desired endpoint

then I had some pork butt left

so I made some beer sausage and mild hot Italian 5lbs of each,
I tried a new twist with the Italian, I replaced the water and sugar with home made cherry wine in half of it. gave it an interrresting flavor

OU812

MidKnightRider

"A Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever."John Adams
The Big Easy
OBS
ProQ Smoke Gererator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/index.php
BBQ Evangelist

KyNola

That sausage looks great.  Noticed in one of pics where the sausage is in the ice bath that a temp probe appears to be very close to submerging the area where the braided wire goes into the probe.  Unless you have moisture proofed that end you want to be careful to avoid submerging it as water will get in the probe and pretty much destroy it.

NePaSmoKer

Tenpoint5

That stuck out like a sore thumb here as well. Looks like you have some good sausage though
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

grnhs

yep, I fried my probe.
I learned a few things on this smoke :o

pikeman_95

Quote from: KyNola on March 28, 2011, 02:01:33 PM
That sausage looks great.  Noticed in one of pics where the sausage is in the ice bath that a temp probe appears to be very close to submerging the area where the braided wire goes into the probe.  Unless you have moisture proofed that end you want to be careful to avoid submerging it as water will get in the probe and pretty much destroy it.

grnhs

First good looking sausage and way to hit the ground running.

Some of the guys have noticed that you have your probe very close from taking a dunk. The thermester in the tip will be shot if it gets wet. For anything that has to do with water I use a couple of digital probes from Wally world for my water bath only. If you guys want to protect your probes I have dipped my probes on my digital thermometers in liquid plastic. I have purchased  some dip and grip from Ace Hardware and I rub it into the stranded cable and on to the the base of the probe. This keeps the water out of the probe if I accidentally dip it under water when I water bath my sausage. I do not intentionally leave it under water but you can not help dipping one now and then. The plastic seems to do a good job of keeping the water out.

dbondy

fantastic looking batch of sausage WTG. And I have to also destriod a few probes in the past by getting them wet. But live and learn and thanks to this forum I found out why. ;D