• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Stacking up pucks

Started by gbritten_nh, April 10, 2011, 02:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gbritten_nh

In the interest of low, and slow, and don't open the door, I try not to during the smoke period.  But, when I do to check the water in the bowl, many times the pucks are neatly stacked above the water line, is this an issue?  Seems they are wet anyway, I guess water is being transferred through the lower pucks that are in the water, but hard to say if they linger burning longer than they should or what, any comments anybody?

Jim O

I've never had that happen. Mine all fall into the bowl and are extinguished.

How much water are you putting in ?

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

smoke em if you got em

I don't use the bowl that came with the smoker. I use a slightly bigger pan to hold more water and the pucks don't stack up.
OBS w/ dual element and fan mods
Dual-Probe auber pid
Charbroil BEESR
Charbroil SRG
Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill
Old Smokey #22 charcoal grill
Camp Chef DLX pellet grill

bears fan

I use a 9 x 13 metal cake pan and don't have that issue.   It fits perfectly on the tray that is in the bottom.

Quarlow

I also use a 9x13 aluminum cake pan. I have had the pucks stack up and then continueto burn till ash and you don't want that. With the grease dripping down you could end up with a fire. I like to run the smoke till the pucks are done then change the water for clean if more water is needed. For jerky and things like nuts you don't need water and really don't want the moisture so I just empty it out and put it in dry to catch any drips.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

gbritten_nh

I put water in above half-way, in the original bowl.  I have a whole brick and a couple of partial bricks around the bowl, a bigger bowl would require less bricks, but since water has a good specific heat, this is not a bad tradeoff I guess.  I will look into a bigger bowl, thanks for the input.

Quarlow

If I am smoking something that is not real greasy I put a brick on the drip tray. If I am not using the bottom rack I put my 2 bricks on there. If all else fails on that note I for go the bricks. But generally I keep a brick on the right side of the drip bowl.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

ghost9mm

Here again I use 9x13 pan with NO problems, it seems to do a good job...
Digital Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
The Big Easy with Srg grill
MAK 2 Star General
Char Broil gas grill