So what is the real skinny on the "Safe Zone"?

Started by SoCalBuilder, April 05, 2011, 06:34:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalBuilder

I have an unadulterated OBS (read 1 element), with an Auber PID. Costco always sells 2 chickens in a bag, so I smoke 2 chickens at a time. I generally just spatchcock them, as I am too damn lazy to cut them up into individual pieces. I have a large hot-water tray and usually go with about 3 hours of smoke. I preheat the box and set the pid for around 235 or so. I have the vent wide open (always) and with the big water tray, the only time I open the door is to rotate the racks once, if I remember.

In the dozen or more birds that I have done, I have never had the box temp get to the 235. The highest I've seen it was 212 when the IT in the breast hit 165.

I've noticed a couple postings concerning the "safe zone" and wondered how my times and temps compare with the rest of you.

I've done a dozen or more birds now with no ill effects (knock, knock), so I'm not overly concerned, more curious I guess.

Thanks - Randy

SoCalBuilder

I forgot the most important part... It always takes at least 6.5 to 7 hours to hit the IT

Thanks again :D

smoker pete

I always do my chickens at 250º SoCal.  Here's a couple of Spatchcock chickens I did in my OBS with a PID with only one element.  The vent was wide open and I applied Apple smoke for 3 hours.  Took me 4.5 hours.

6.5 to 7 hours seems excessive to me but could be many things.  Did you give the chickens a chance to warm up some before putting them in the preheated OBS?  When you preheat do you put hot/boiling water in the pan or cold water?  If the OBS would go higher I would even advise going over the 250º mark.  Then again, those chickens at Costco has big birds!!  Where do you place the temp probe?  Under the meat?  Like I said, lots of factors.  Others will be around soon to add more.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

SoCalBuilder

Thanks Pete - Like I said, I've never seen the heat get above 212during the cook. No problem on the preheat. Auber probe be lo the lowest rack, near the front. Boiling water, out of the wind, Maybe not to room temp, but then what about the safe zone there?  It's a conundrum ;D

Gizmo

Try pushing the set temp of the box up to 340 deg or what ever the max is on your PID.  I would be willing to bet with a higher set temp, you will get the box temp you are looking for.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

If the chickens have less then 3% solution injection, you can try brining. Brined meat cooks faster then unbrined meats, and can provide slight additional protection. Also you can try air drying the chickens uncovered over night. This reduces the moisture in the skin (which should help with the cabinet temperature), and improves smoke penetration and adhesion by forming the pellicle.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SiFumar

Next time I make chicken (which my hubby says NOT in the near future), I'm going to try this drying overnight.  Sounds interesting.  I've seen it mentioned for turkey...but missed it for chicken. Thanks always for ideas!

SoCalBuilder

Just a little update. I may have inadvertantly found my problem. I had to replace my heating element and my first smoke with it is a 5.5 lb beef roast. With all that mass, I had no trouble getting the box temp to the desired temp. It may have been that I had a lazy element all this time. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the future.