Smokin' when cooler

Started by ndsmoker, September 24, 2005, 06:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ndsmoker

I have the smoker going on high, and I'm only able to get 175 degrees out of it. Ambient temp is 60, wind is about 12mph. Is it possible that my large drip pan (covers about 80%) is keeping the temp down? I checked, and the element is clean, this is the first time I haven't been able to get it too hot.

Thanks

ndsmoker

Well, I've been watching this forum for a long time, and I finally register and post (cause the smokers going as we speak) and hurriedly post a question. Then I see Old's post before mine. Guess my problem is pretty insignificant. Good luck Olds.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ndsmoker</i>
<br />Well, I've been watching this forum for a long time, and I finally register and post (cause the smokers going as we speak) and hurriedly post a question. Then I see Old's post before mine. Guess my problem is pretty insignificant. Good luck Olds.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Sorry I did not see your posting.  BTW welcome to the forums and let us know what you are smokin'[:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

car54

ndsmoker,
 The temp and wind should not matter. You mentioned the large drip pan(covers 80%),I'm not sure what you mean by that. Please give us more details. Is this a Bradley smoker?

Brad

ndsmoker

Bradley smoker? Yes. Drip pan is just a foil pan I put in so I'm not cleaning so much.

Talked to Bradley, they think its the heat element control, sending a new one right away. Very good customer service!

charlie

The outside temperature and wind do play a significant factor in heating your Bradley. I think what you mean by Drip Pan is the "V" shaped Drip Tray. If this is so, make sure it is sitting down like a valley, not pointing up like a rooftop. This will block a lot of heat and also allow the juices to drip onto the heat element.

Only other tray is the bottom rectangular tray which should sit on the floor of the smoker beneath the drip bowl. Don't use any foreign pans or trays in the Bradley. It will block the heat from rising and possibly melt your door seal.

I hope this helps. Take Care.

Oldman

ndsmoker

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Drip pan is just a foil pan I put in so I'm not cleaning so much.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> I hope this is on the 4th rack and you did not replace the V pan.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Well, I've been watching this forum for a long time, and I finally register and post (cause the smokers going as we speak) and hurriedly post a question. Then I see Old's post before mine. Guess my problem is pretty insignificant. Good luck Olds.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I see you did not reply to my post....  I see you live west of me and are at least one hour behind my time. Furthermore, at the time of this posting  this board shows it as being posted on the 30th, and yet where I live it is still the Thurs. 10:02 pm the 29th at the time of this edit.

I'm not Admin here, nor do I make any monies off of the Bradley. I do my best to help as many folks as possible. If I miss a posting and it upset anyone then they can fire me...If you had been on this board for any amount of time you would come to understand that the cookies that show you new post do not alway show up. Yet at other times they show all post as having new replies when there are not new replies. So, Sir, with that said--I bid you the same... Good luck ndsmoker .

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

ndsmoker

Olds: I'm a bit confused about your last post. I was wishing you luck with your wife's medical situation, and that my quick posting about smoker temp was insignificant compared to your post which I thought had been posted right before I started the new topic (and I had failed to notice).

Smoking: can I have a foil pan on the 4th rack? I didn't replace the Vpan, but it sure gets messy.

Oldman

My bad....

I misunderstood your posting. I read it as if you were ticked off at me because I did not address your question... and ya things are nuts-o here lately. Sure looks more and more like they are going to cut her open again.

Please overlook my being stupid again. Lately everything seems not to be what I view it as...
Olds

EDIT: Oh ya, thank you for your thoughts.
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Smoking: can I have a foil pan on the 4th rack? I didn't replace the Vpan, but it sure gets messy.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Personally I would not. I would think that it would give you hot spots doing that.  Next I just use a good oven cleaner on my V pan.

ndsmoker

Olds: no problemo.

It was the heat switch, by the way. The plastic panel over it is cracked in a few spots (and the smoker is only 4 mos old) apparently letting moisture in.

I've found that the smoker cover doesn't really cover all that well.

I assume the stainless version is more sturdy?

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I assume the stainless version is more sturdy? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Nope... both have the same plastic piece.

Olds