• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

To mop or not to mop

Started by smokin stu, September 27, 2005, 05:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokin stu

I have been using a charcoal bullet smoker and prior to that a converted ice box with a heating element and old frying pan full of chips.  Using the charcoal smoker this past three years, I started in on the mops.

According to the smoking books I have, they do not recomend mopping with an electric smoker like the Bradley.

I just got my Bradley a month ago and have since gorged on various smoked meats as I put it through its paces.  From what I can tell, mopping may not be necessary in a Bradley.  I would like to mop my ribs though.  I figure drowning the elements in slop over mop is not a good thing, but any reason why I should or should not mop with a Bradley[?]

By the by - Picked up my Bradley at a fire sale - great hunting/fishing store went up in flames and I figured a smoker should do well when it comes to potential smoke damage....  nothing wrong with it and I am loving it.

nsxbill

I would reserve the mop for when the ribs come out of the smoker.  I smoke them for about 4 hours and then when they come out, I have little foil packs torn off the roll ready to place them on.  I mop on the sauce, put about 1/8 cup of apple juice on top, and wrap them up.  Into a 200-300°F oven to finish off with the juice and sauce on the ribs...Very tasty!

The Bradley doesn't generate the heat conventional smokers do.  The key is applying smoke and low heat and slow cook.  I see no need to open the door any more than I have to,as it takes so long to bring the smoker back to temp.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

bsolomon

It depends on why you are mopping.  Mopping for moisture (i.e., to prevent the food from drying out) is pretty much not needed in the Bradley.  Mopping for flavor is another matter.  If your recipe relies on a mop for flavor, then by all means go ahead.  As you noted, you should try to avoid anything aimed in the direct vicinity of the heating element, but the drip tray should handle just about anything that isn't smeared directly on the back wall of the cabinet.  As Bill noted, the penalty for mopping in the Bradley is longer cooking times since it doesn't recover well from having the door opened.  So, I would say, limit the number of moppings, if possible, and keep them toward the end of the cooking cycle when the heat recovery issue is not as pronounced.

GrillinFool

I have been mopping bbq stuff like butts and brisket. I really like the sweet black crust that it makes. I dont do it on ribs cause I like my ribs "dry".

It does add a lot to the cooking times though. I bought a bag of "Steam Table Pans" 12-3/4" x 10-3/8" x 2-9/16". 20 pack at Sam's Club was just a few bucks and they fit nicely but do take up a rack.

I smoke the meat for 3 or 4 hours then change the water and put a pan on the lowest rack right above the v-tray. Then I cook to internal temp of about 178* then mop once every 60-90 mins until internal temp of 190*. I typically run the box at 225* durring the mopping time because I loose so much heat when I open the door. I use a thicker mop then I would on an open grill set up, and I always have plenty of vinegar in it. It is probably too thick for a spray bottle but I let it drip all over the meat, using a brush. The mop is plenty sweet and builds up nicely.

I typically throw the aluminum pan out because it is so crusted up. But cleaning the Bradley would be really tough if you mop without a pan. On butts I can build up an inch of solid burned yuck in the pan, I dont know how you would clean that up if you did it over an over on the v-tray.

I guess I am a vote for Mopping, but only bbq as it really isnt needed on any thing else.

smokin stu

Thanks for all the advise.  before I knew of this forum, I posed the question to the info people at Bradley Smokers and this is what they sent me.

======================

Thank you for your email.

I assume by "mopping" that you mean "basting" your meat. We probably would not recommend that you do that in our smoker due to the electrical heat. If too much moisture drips down the lower face plate, the heat control could short out. Also, the heat element would be a concern, due to the wire racks in the smoker that allow juices to fall through.

I hope this answers you question. If I am way off from what you meant about "mopping", please email me back and I will try to answer your question again. If we can help you with anything else, please don't hesitate to contact us. Have a great day!